Skip to main content
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Helper I
Helper I

column chart showing different result than area chart



I have this report that doesn't make any sense to me. My results in a stacked column chart are different that in a stacked line chart:


Note that the green area is missing in the column chart.

The area chart is just a copy of the column chart with the visual switched to the area chart.


The make things even stranger, if I deselect Q1 both charts are fine:


It doesn't have anything to do with Q1, because it's still fine if I select Q4 2019 till Q3 2020.


If I remove the legend from the column chart the totals is also fine:



A basic representation of the datamodel:

In the charts I'm using 3 columns from 2 tables.

As value the column "Amount" from "Projects".

As axis the column "Date" from "Projects".

As legend the column "Clientname" from "Clients".

The two tables have a one-to-many relation.


I really hope someone can see something that could be wrong here.

It looks like a bug in the bar chart to me, but if that's the case I would expect others to notice this.


Kind regards,



Helper I
Helper I

I did a lot of testing. And it gets crazier.


Here I use the ClientId as legend (this is NOT the related table, it's the ID inside the Projects table):



Here I use an anonymized client name, and everything is fine:



And with the actual client names:


I checked for double clientnames, but there are none.


Here's an anonymized PBIX:

Hi @RoelVB ,


When I open the sample report you provided, this information is visually prompted, which will result in incomplete visual display.



Unfortunately, there is no better way than to pre filter useless data in clientid field.


Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for checking my sample.


That's strange. I don't get this warning, but this still raises some new questions:

  1. Why the difference between using the client's ID vs Name as value? There are the same amount of names as IDs
  2. Why the difference between de column chart and area chart?
  3. I don't have anything to "pre filter", we need all data

Maybe it's just me, but this makes Power BI hugely unreliable.

The person who found this issue also didn't get a warning about "too many values" and uses this report to manage his department.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RoelVB ,


Please try to use the date in "one" table as slicer. If the problem still exists, please recreate a pbix with similar model and remove sensitive data to share with us.



Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Not applicable

Hello @RoelVB ,
It'll be more helpful if you provide some sample data or pbix file after removing the sensitive data.

Hi @Anonymous 


That's the problem. My datasource is SharePoint Online lists, I'm not sure how to remove sensitive data from the pbix file.


I need the clientnames to reproduce the issue, but I cannot publish a pbix including the clientnames.

Not applicable

Hello @RoelVB 
You may try to make a new visual instead of copying it.

First thing I tried, didn't help.

Helpful resources

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.