Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

Wrong total in table object

I'm working on a report on billable hours for employees for a company. The billing ratio is defined as total billable hours divided by total workable hours (both from the same fact table, billable is a subcategory of all hours).

The company is organized in departments, and I have a bar chart with the billing ratio for each department. On the same view, I have a table with employees and their individual billing ratio. The idea is that when the user clicks a department bar, the table is filtered to the employees in that department.

Here's the problem: the billing ratio is shown correctly in the bar chart, but when selecting a department, the total billing ratio in the table (on the total row) has a different value. I've tried the same thing in Excel (without the interactivity of course) and there the correct result is shown.

What could be wrong here?

8 REPLIES 8
aalvear
Regular Visitor

Wrong Total.png

I´m having the same issue see the total row

Help  Please

Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

Thanks for your replies. After some investigating, I find the problem is not in a filter that I have, but in the behaviour of the table object. It happens that there are employees that don't show up in the table, because they don't have results for the columns I have in the table (like no billable hours and >0 workable hours, resulting in a blank value for billing ratio).

The issue is that apparently, the table computes the total line over only the lines that are visible in the table, not over all underlying data rows. This returns an incorrect total value (employees who have no billable hours but did have workable hours, should count for the overall billing ratio as well).

Is this a bug or by design?

The workaround, obviously, is to make sure there's always a column in the table object that contains values for all data rows.

austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This is by design and should be dealt with in your measures. The table is interpreting, very literally, what you asked it to do in the measure.  Share your code in these situations so that people can help diagnose the issue.

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

I  think these are de codes you are asking

This is for my measures:

ventas mtd = TOTALMTD(SUM(Ventas[Ventas]);Fecha[Fecha])
ant ventas mes = CALCULATE(Ventas[ventas mtd];SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Fecha[Fecha]))
var ventas mes = Ventas[ventas mtd]-Ventas[ant ventas mes]

I also change my  measure "ant ventas mes" to :

IF(Ventas[ventas mtd]=0;0 ;CALCULATE(Ventas[ventas mtd];SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Fecha[Fecha])))

This make the Total row = 0

This is the code I have for the Ventas Table:

let
    Origen = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Nicolita\Documents\PBI\PBI copiar\CursoPBI\sales.xlsx"), null, true),
    Tabla1_Table = Origen{[Item="Tabla1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Tipo cambiado" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Tabla1_Table,{{"ID Producto", Int64.Type}, {"Fecha", type date}, {"Zip", Int64.Type}, {"Unidades", Int64.Type}, {"Ventas", type number}}),
    #"Consulta anexada" = Table.Combine({#"Tipo cambiado", International}),
    #"Filas filtradas" = Table.SelectRows(#"Consulta anexada", each true),
    #"Personalizada agregada" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filas filtradas", "Custom", each if [Pais] = null then "USA" else [Pais]),
    #"Filas filtradas1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Personalizada agregada", each true),
    #"Columnas con nombre cambiado" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filas filtradas1",{{"Custom", "PAISES"}}),
    #"Personalizada agregada1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Columnas con nombre cambiado", "Custom", each if [Pais] = null then "USA" else [Pais]),
    #"Columnas quitadas" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Personalizada agregada1",{"Pais"}),
    #"Columnas con nombre cambiado1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Columnas quitadas",{{"Custom", "Pais"}}),
    #"Columnas quitadas1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Columnas con nombre cambiado1",{"PAISES"})
in
    #"Columnas quitadas1"

I all ready solved calculating the date in other way

I use this:

Total Sales = SUM(Ventas[Ventas])

ventas mtd = CALCULATE([Total Sales];Fecha[Month])

ant ventas mes = IF(Ventas[ventas mtd]=0;0 ;CALCULATE(Ventas[ventas mtd];SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(Fecha[Fecha])))

var ventas mes = [TOTAL Sales] -Ventas[ant ventas mes]

Correct Total.png

Hi Michiel,

I have the same problem. The matrix shows a total value of all lines that are in the table.

The sum of all visible lines in the matrix would be correctly.

I think taht this is a bug.

Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

I would also check your data.  I work for a similar company and where we run into problems with reporting like this when an associate bills time for a different office than his own.  For example.  We will have Associates in Office A, work on a project for Office B.  The Billable hours are recorded as going to Office B, even though the Associate works in Office A.  What happens then is our managers in Office A filter for Office A, and see "wrong" results.  However, if they select all the individuals from Office A, the numbers are correct.  This happens becuase the hours are associated by Person, and project, and not really by the office of the staff completing the hours.  

I hope this explanation helped.  

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Do you have any filters selected for your visual?  These could be at Visual, Page or Report level.  Try playing with these to see if they have an effect on the behaviour of the total.  This won't solve your issue but may help you understand where the problem may lie.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.