Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RBunting
Advocate II
Advocate II

Windows 10 screen recording no longer works in PBI Desktop (XBOX Game DVR Console).

In the past with Window 10, I have been able to use the Xbox application, Game bar, to record apps with their audio and also over the mic.  This still works for me at home (with a slightly older version of PBI Desktop).  However, at work, I can't get the recordings to function anymore.  Now I just get a pop up that states "This game does not allow recording."

I'm quite dissappointed, I have been intending on creating some tutorials with this tool, but now it seems disabled.  Any reason why?  Or dos anyone know of a quick fix to this problem?

Thanks so much!

6 REPLIES 6
peterwak
Frequent Visitor

I have a current version of Power BI (Version: 2.90.1081.0 64-bit (February 2021))

and Game Bar will not record a screen demo of it, as described above.

Pete

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @RBunting 

I have test on my side, it works well.

Version: 2.73.5586.661 64-bit (September 2019)

Capture.JPG7.JPG

and if you uninstall and install Aug-2019 version and try it again.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-latest-update-archive

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

This is a horrible suggestion. If it worked and doesn't work now, its a bug. We have to keep up with the latest releases of the PBI Desktop and not being able to easily share video clips of cool things you can do is a pain.

Thanks,
Bill

Could this depend on if yu have installed power BI as a ModernApp from the store och not?

Thanks for your advice.

I downloaded the August version of PowerBI Desktop.  I found that the gamebar recording worked well.  This was no surprise, as I  have been using the Xbox recording tools successfully prior to the September update.

Then I uninstalled all instances of PowerBI, reinstalled the September version, and again, Gamebar doesn't work.  Perhaps the problem is some setting on the DVR Console.

I'll find some other workaround.  Thanks for your time, but I cannot mark this as a solution.  Suggesting that I rollback to prior versions does not really help me work with *this* version, does it?

hi, @RBunting 

Rollback to prior versions is a workaround for you.

And Gamebar works well in September version on my side, not sure why doesn't work for you.

For your case, you could create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help to check what is the reason for it.

Best Regards,
Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.