Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

micwebnet
Employee
Employee

Why is cancelling refresh so heavy weight?

Whenever I cancel a refresh I mistakenly start in Power BI Desktop it takes forever to truly cancel. The app hangs (ghosts) and even after it becomes responsive, interactivity is impacted. On a large report this can drag for a good minute. Why can't cancel literally kill the ongoing refresh and go back to existing data set?

Thanks, Michael

3 REPLIES 3
ColinG
Frequent Visitor

@micwebnet You are a MS employee? Why are you asking us? lol....

I have recently, within the last 3 or 4 weeks, been experiencing the same thing. Does anyone have any more info on this?

Plotter
Frequent Visitor

Well, having a couple of times been forced to kill PBI after waiting several hours for a stuck query to cancel, I think this is something the developers to pay some attention to. (And, no, ending the mashup processes didn't do the trick: they were all idle anyway. It was the cancelling that was taking hours, not just the query.)

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

I don't know why it takes so long, but I know a shortcut 😉 

https://wp.me/p6lgsG-13m

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.