Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIandME
Advocate I
Advocate I

Why am I Getting This Error: Parameter name: maxWorkingSetInMB

Hello, 

Not sure why but out of the blue my powerBi gives me this error across all pbix files. 
Specified argument was out of the range of valid values. Parameter name: maxWorkingSetInMB

I have not changed a single setting and I started getting this error. 

To troubleshoot: I changed the max memory settings, tried a bunch of different values error still presisits. I reinstalled PowerBI, I also updated .net. Issue still exists. Cant get any work done.

Whats interesting is that even when I open a blank pbix file, and click on get data, after I select a data source<all types including CSV, I get something went wrong: error (super helpful error message)

Can somone please help me

Clearly the error is coming from PowerBI engine. 

Thanks in advance.

The error log below:

Unexpected error: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: maxWorkingSetInMB
Details:
Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: maxWorkingSetInMB ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: maxWorkingSetInMB ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
Parameter name: maxWorkingSetInMB
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ContainerProcess.SetProcessWorkingSetSize(Int32 maxWorkingSetInMB)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ProcessContainerFactory.Container.SetProcessWorkingSetSize(Int32 maxWorkingSetInMB)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.WorkingSetProcessContainerFactory.CreateProcessContainer()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.WorkingSetProcessContainerFactory.CreateContainer()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ContainerPoolContainerFactory.CreatePooledContainer(TimeSpan ttlAdjustment)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ContainerPoolContainerFactory.CreateContainer()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteEvaluationContainerFactory.CreateContainer()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.CreateContainer()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation.Evaluate(Boolean enableFirewall)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation`1.TryCompleteWithException(Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.RemoteEvaluation.Evaluate(Boolean enableFirewall)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.EvaluationThread(Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.GlobalizedEvaluatorThreadPool.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Start>b__0(Object s)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluatorThreadPool.EvaluatorThread(Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<CreateThreadStart>b__0(Object o)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<CreateAction>b__0(Object o)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<CreateThreadStart>b__1(Object o)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResult2`1.get_Result()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)

2 REPLIES 2
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PBIandME ,

What version are you currently using?

Have you recently made changes to your system directory or other files?
Please try deleting Power BI Desktop completely and try using the latest version or roll back to another historical version to see if the problem exists.

Refer to:

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jianboli-msft 

Hello,

Yes I am using the latest version of powerBI and I tried unisntalling and reinstalling. 

The issue got resolved with PowerBI support memeber on the phone. 
Turns out the auto update function for some reason desided to install the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version of powerBI. 

We reinstalled the 64-bit version and now everything works. 

So for anyone having the same issues, I guess the 32-bit version doesnot work on a 64 bit version. 

@v-jianboli-msft If you can escalate this wierd issue to the developer team to further investigate. Because as I know a 32 bit program can run on a 64 bit system so not sure why this happened, and the auto update installing the 32 bit version even tho since always I have used the 64 bit version.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.