Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

beau4powerbi
Frequent Visitor

Why Does Page Level Filter Override Visual Filter When Using TOPN?

I am not quite sure how (TOPN) works in my situation. Page level filter seems to be overriding (TOPN) visual filter.. why is this?

Visual filter

- I am filtering by the date table column called (WK_END_DT). There is one week end date for all days of a give week on the date table. I add (TOPN) to the (WK_END_DT) to filter down to only days in the current calandar week using (In_Current_Week) column. For each date in the date table it is either 1 or 0 for (In_Current_Week). 1 would me that the date is in the current week. 

Page Filter

- I add (WK_END_DT) which shows me all options. Once I select one option.. the visual will adjust to my new page level filter selection... overriding the (TOPN) selection.. which is what I want. I just don't get why it is working that way. Any help here? Page level filters don't normally override visual level filters, correct?

Example Date Table Format

date.JPGquestion.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@beau4powerbi Think of it like a hierarchy:

Report Filters

-  Report Page Filters

-  Visual Filters

It's just how it works. You can override the filters using DAX in many cases.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I did test this situation (that I think describes your above description) and it does not work the same. 

Say your visual displays sum of sales by state (ex. Michigan = MI) and you have sales for every state. You put a filter on that visal for state = MI. So now you are only seeing MI and the sales total. But if you then put a state filter at the page level.. and choose CA for califonia.. it will not override MI to show CA on the visual.. the visal will show blank. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.