Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

agilista

Where does the filter come from?

I have a report with a couple of filters. One of them is a "Year" filter.

Even though the report contains data from 2017 - 2021, the filter only shows 2021 as an option.

When I click on the "What filters effect this visual" icon, it shows me there is a "Year = 2021" filter somewhere but for the life of me I can't find where it is....

- There are no other "Year" filters on the page

- The "Filters" tab shows no filters on the visual, page or report

Is there a way to find out where this filter is coming from?

agilista_0-1628489247041.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
agilista

Although I'm still not sure where the problem originated, I did manage to fix it....

This slicer exists on all pages of the report. Except that apparently it's not the same slicer everywhere....

I opened the View - Sync Slicers tab. When I select the slicer on the problem page (called Excel Export), it shows the picture on the left. When I select it on any other page, it shows the picture on the right. I think there must've been some kind of corruption in the PBIX file....

I removed the slicer from the problem page. Then selected the slicer on a different page and ticked the box bottom-right. Now the slicer is back on the Excel export page and behaving as expected.

Weird stuff.....

agilista_0-1628492650026.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
agilista

Although I'm still not sure where the problem originated, I did manage to fix it....

This slicer exists on all pages of the report. Except that apparently it's not the same slicer everywhere....

I opened the View - Sync Slicers tab. When I select the slicer on the problem page (called Excel Export), it shows the picture on the left. When I select it on any other page, it shows the picture on the right. I think there must've been some kind of corruption in the PBIX file....

I removed the slicer from the problem page. Then selected the slicer on a different page and ticked the box bottom-right. Now the slicer is back on the Excel export page and behaving as expected.

Weird stuff.....

agilista_0-1628492650026.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@agilista , Can you open the slicer and share the values. Because slicer only seems to filter.

or

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hey Amit,

Sharing the PBIX is kinda difficult. It's just about all sensitive data so you would be left with nothing... The data in the table isn't all that important either; the key field here is a basic date field with the "Year/Quarter/Month/Day" breakdown that PowerBI itself generates.

When I open the slicer it only shows 2021, as is to be expected from the shown "affected by" dialog. It's as if the slicer is filtering itself but I would think that's impossible. <edit> after checking the other slicers; the "affected by" dialog for those shows 2 "Jaar = 2021" filters. The one shown on the Jaar filter and the one generated by the Jaar filter itself. This gets more and more weird </edit>

Ideally I'd like to know if there is a generic way to find out where the entry in "affected by" is coming from. Some kind of trace.

Hi @agilista ,

do you have more pages in your report? You can have filter (slicer) applied on other page and it influence your current slicer.

If my answer was helpful please give me a Kudos or even accept as a Solution.

Let's connect on LinkedIn!

@Migasuke I do have multiple pages. The question that remains is: How do I find which slicer on what page generates this specific filter? Since as far as I can see this "Jaar" slicer is the only one filtering on year.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.