Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

akhaliq7
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

When to use Merging or Table Relationships

I have a issue whereby when I join two tables i get a many to many relationship. To avoid this is it better to merge the tables or the last time I had this issue I created an extra table with unique values. Linking the two tables to the extra table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hi akhaliq7 

In the relationships screen you can edit the relationship.

But if your 2 tables do indeed containing many-to-many keys then it wont allow a 1 to many.

The usually workarround is to create a bridge tables.

Simply append the key columns from table1 with the key columns from table2 to create table3.
Remove duplicates from table3.

Then create 1:M relationship from table3 to table1   and table3 to table2 with bi-directional filtering.

When you filter table1 it will filter table2 and vice versa.

There are lots of you tube video on how to handle a many to many with a bridge table.

Or you can merge the two tables into one table with Power Query as you described.

Remember we are BI community voluntrees so please click the thumbs-up for me taking the trouble to help you and then accept the solution if it works.  Thank you !

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hi akhaliq7 

In the relationships screen you can edit the relationship.

But if your 2 tables do indeed containing many-to-many keys then it wont allow a 1 to many.

The usually workarround is to create a bridge tables.

Simply append the key columns from table1 with the key columns from table2 to create table3.
Remove duplicates from table3.

Then create 1:M relationship from table3 to table1   and table3 to table2 with bi-directional filtering.

When you filter table1 it will filter table2 and vice versa.

There are lots of you tube video on how to handle a many to many with a bridge table.

Or you can merge the two tables into one table with Power Query as you described.

Remember we are BI community voluntrees so please click the thumbs-up for me taking the trouble to help you and then accept the solution if it works.  Thank you !

Thanks for taking out the time to write such a detailed response. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.