Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When adding columns from another table, rows from first table disappear

I want to make a report on number of software licenses that were bought per department, and how many are effectively assigned to users in this department. For this, I have created two tables:

• Table A contains a departmentname and the number of licenses bought for this department. 
  • Table B contains a list of all users, their departmentname and a boolean indicating if a license is assigned to this user. I created a measure 'LicensesAssigned_Count' that counts the number of times this boolean is 'true'. 

Table A and B have a one-to-many relationship on the departmentname. 

I added table A 'departmentname' and 'number of licenses bought' columns to a table visualization in PowerBI. So far all goes well. However, when I add the measure 'LicensesAssigned_Count' to the table visualization, suddenly I lose many rows of the first table in the visualization. 

How can I make sure that I keep seeing all rows from table A, while adding calculated results per row from table B? 

3 REPLIES 3
Ross_PBI
Frequent Visitor

Do you want to see, for example, the total licences purchased for department A and then those currrently issued at employee level to that department so say 15 purchased and 10 issued?

If so you shouldnt need a measure

Simply add the bolean field as a value, eg count of bolean, to your visual and filter it on Yes (assuming your bolean are either Yes or No)

This should then give the visual you need

I'l add a screenshot if I can figure out howto in this forum

piccy.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, you understood exactly what I would like to achieve (purchased vs issued). I reproduced on my side as well by removing the measure and using the count+filter as you described. This works to remove the measure, however my problem remained the same: once I added the 'Count of Issued' to the table, several rows from Table A disappear. 

I notice in your example you used 'Sum of Purchased', where I was using just 'Purchased' with 'Don't summarize' selected. When using 'Sum of Purchased', all rows from Table A indeed are kept while adding the 'issued' column, which was my goal. Thanks!

Could you help me understand however why rows would disappear when not summarizing the 'Purchased' column? I'm not sure I understand the difference between the 'Sum' or 'Don't summarize' in this case, as the values in the column seem to remain the same.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.