Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

P0W3RB1
Helper I
Helper I

Weird problem with a date field

I have a very simple line graph to make, guess what Power BI cant do it!!

i have a value amount and a date field, just two very simple fields. I want this value broken down by month, sounds simple enough right? i mean i could do this in excel...

but no...

when i drag the date field on it breaks it down by year and usually in the "axis" section you can remove year, month, day quarter etc but for some reason the only option i have is year? see screenshot.

There is another graph on the same page which works fine, no page/report level filters are set.#

If i create a brand new page, with nothing except else except this line graph it works fine and i can select to remove year, month, day, quarter.

What is wrong? really not asking much from the product here...

year.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@P0W3RB1

Here's an update from the PG team.

Currently the drill down feature(Year,Quarter,Month,Day) is only available for some of the visualizations, the line chart is not included and there's no ETA.  So far Line chart is by design like that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
P0W3RB1
Helper I
Helper I

Update - it works with a bar chart, but not a line???

yes, it kind of weird, but it do not works with line chart

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

@P0W3RB1

In my opinion, it may be by design. As the line chart shows a trend against the axis, only the year part in the date is time trending if multiple years involved.

In any cases, we have reported this behavior internally and would post back if there comes any update.

@P0W3RB1

Here's an update from the PG team.

Currently the drill down feature(Year,Quarter,Month,Day) is only available for some of the visualizations, the line chart is not included and there's no ETA.  So far Line chart is by design like that.

@P0W3RB1 Sounds like something is wedged in the visual. Have you tried deleting and re-creating the visual?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.