Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

HDBI
Regular Visitor

Web scraping non-tabular data not working

Hi,

I'm trying to pull country exposure data from morningstar.com (available to the public) and have researched and tried numerous blogs but cannot get this to work.

1. If you look at image 1 below, this shows the ETF "WDIV" in the "Portfolio" section on the morningstar.com website.

2.  If you look at image 2 below, I need to click on the "Country" button to see the equity exposure % by country.  You can also see that there are several pages containing country exposure %s with only the first 10 shown so I'd need to loop through all country exposure pages in order to ensure that all countries and % exposures are pulled into power bi.

Using the standard GetDate>Web doesn't work as this data is not in an available table.  Additionally, trying to create a table using examples doesn't work as it comes up blank.  I have also tried to isolate in power query in the html based on some blogs that I have read but nothing has worked so I am obviously doing something wrong.

Do any of you know how to do this (ie - pull all pages of this country exposure %) into power bi?

Please let me know if you have some time and thank you!

Dan

IMAGE 1:

HDBI_0-1676228643568.png

IMAGE 2:

HDBI_1-1676228829197.png

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@HDBI any ideas based off of same day reply from @amitchandak; I am stuck in similar situation. Thanks!

Hi - thank you for your response.  I have tried that approach and nothing really shows up in the webpage screen (see yellow scriggly line below) and even when I search for certain keywords, etc in "Column 1", I keep getting the "No CSS selector was found for the sample values you provided in the following column(s):  Column 1" error.  I've tried every reference to "Country" that I could find in the dropdown....

Any suggestions or do you know another way to do what I'm looking to do?

Thanks,

Dan

HDBI_0-1676331894409.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.