Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

GoQniD
Frequent Visitor

Waterfall Forecast, Gain, Loss and Actual

Hello dear Power Bi Users!

I am fairly new to PBi and I would like to make a waterfall chart that I made in Excel and here is the explanation of how I would like to make it. (There are different level of difficulty for those who like challenges 😄 ).

Level 1

Each month, I have an excel sheet for the production of many assets. In this sheet, I have a forecast made the previous year, different gains and losses and finally the actual production

Capture.PNG

I would like to be able to put this information into the waterfall chart as showed in the following picture :

Image1.png

Well done, you completed the first stage ! 😄

Level 2

Now that we have this, I would like to add a filter to select the plants. So here, it's either plant A, plant B or Total

Capture2.PNG

So the chart will update dynamically

Stage 2 completed !

Level 3, final boss !

Here we are. Now that we can do this for a month, it would be great to add a Year to Date waterfall. So as I mentionned earlier, each month I have a file with this production data. I would like to compile all the information in the chart and that will allow me to choose the plants (plant A, B or total) and the date (so If i want to make a YTD waterfall untill June, I just select June on the filter).

Congratulation, you won ! 

I'm really enjoying using Excel, Power BI and other stuff to make automated process ( I primarly used Excel and VBA), so if there is some coding on DAX, I'm not afraid. 

Thanks for all who will be willing to help me on this adventure and I hope to read you later! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GoQniD
Frequent Visitor

Hello All!

I managed to find a solution by using python scripts to generate a waterfall.

Follow this scripts and adapt it to your future problem! 

https://github.com/AdamWalczak91/Python-PBI-Custom-Waterfall-Chart/blob/master/Instructions

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GoQniD
Frequent Visitor

Hello All!

I managed to find a solution by using python scripts to generate a waterfall.

Follow this scripts and adapt it to your future problem! 

https://github.com/AdamWalczak91/Python-PBI-Custom-Waterfall-Chart/blob/master/Instructions

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.