Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

freddieoxland
Frequent Visitor

Waffle chart to show exact number images, not percentages

Hi all,

I am trying to make a waffle chart that has one tile which represents each of the criteria I need to comply with. The total number of tiles will = the total number of criteria for that category, the maximum criteria in one category is 32. The number of shaded tiles = the number of criteria currently we comply with. I see there are multiple ways I can do this to show percentage but I would not like to do this as I am intending on using it as a tool tip on an main page that already shows the percentages.

The closest I have got so far is using the infographic visual to produce the correct number of tiles, but there is no way to shade the correct amount.

I am aiming for something like the image attached.

Thanks for any help,

Freddiepower bi help.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @freddieoxland,

If these custom visuals not suitable for your requirement, you can also try to use script-based visuals(r, python) to manually plot these waffle graphs with your own data.

Visualization innovations: Waffleplots and Swarmplots

Notice: script-based visuals can plot custom graphs but they can't interact with other visuals.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
freddieoxland
Frequent Visitor

Hi Phil, 

Thanks for you response.

I have tried the custom waffle chart visual but this only allows you to do out of 100. I require 32 units max. If it was possible to have 3 colours then I think I would be able to make it work by turning them white.

Your second solution seems good, but as I understand it as we update the criteria it will not be a manual task to update the dashboard, and there are 38 criteria. Below is an example of the data I have. I would like to filter by criteria and the waffle chart would show the related shaded squares. 

power bi help2.JPG

Thanks for the help,

Freddie

Hi @freddieoxland,

If these custom visuals not suitable for your requirement, you can also try to use script-based visuals(r, python) to manually plot these waffle graphs with your own data.

Visualization innovations: Waffleplots and Swarmplots

Notice: script-based visuals can plot custom graphs but they can't interact with other visuals.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @freddieoxland 

Download this PBIX with an example of a Waffle chart created from Card visuals

I have a list of values and a measure which returns the max value

valsxx.png

Tile = MAX('Table'[Values])

This measure has a custom format string applied  ; ; ; which prevents any values being displayed in the cards.   

Conditional Formatting rules are set on each tile like this

wafcfr.png

Giving this result

wafcv.png

Once I got the CF rules figured out it wasn't as much work as I thought it would be.

Cheers

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

@freddieoxland 

You could do it with Card visuals but it would be a lot of work to size them all, position them, write DAX to control them and then write the rules for the conditional formatting.

Regards

Phil

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

HI @freddieoxland 

Have you tried any of the custom Waffle chart visuals?

wafc.png

Regards

Phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
OCT PBI Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - October 2024

Check out the October 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Sept NL Carousel

Fabric Community Update - September 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.