Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FU
Helper IV
Helper IV

Viewing changes in historic snapshot reports (urgent)

Hi all,

I am looking for some support in visualisng my monthly snapshot reports that are connected to my SharePoint folder. 

I have provided a set of snapshot Excel files and I am seeking someone's help to pull this together into Power BI and visualise it in this way (and if possible sending back the pbix file for reference) / or a step by step tutorial would be helpful.

I am looking to visualise this roughly (but open to suggestions) in the format below:

1) A date slicer so that I can filter between any 2 days and see the changes that have occured (Snapshots taken once a month).
For example if date rages are Oct-22 - Dec-22 there will be approx 3 report versions within the 3 months and I would like to see Report 1 > Report 2 > Report 3. All 3 changes from the entire report. If I end up having 10 reports and all date ranges for all 10 reports I want to see changed across the whole date range selected and so on.
If there are no changes = show blank.

2) Be able to filter by 'Portfolio Name' 'Programme Name' 'Project Name' using the filters on the left (approx 80% of data is linked to Projects)
2.1) 'Portfolio Name' can be found in the Portfolios table. 'Programme Name' can be found in the programmes table. 'Project Name' can be found in the overview table. 

3) Filter by the table name using the filters on the bottom left of the page (these are also the tables shown in the Excel files linked)
Desired format.png
My Excel files are captured in SharePoint folder in the format below:
Data SharePoint.png
A bit of context about the relationsip between Portfolios, Programmes, Projects in the screenshot below
image15.png

These files can be found here: https://we.tl/t-MooX7SGKRV

I have changed the data in each file so that the changes can be visualised for demonstration purposes.

Would anyone be helpful enough and visualise this for me?
If anyone has any better ideas to show historic data using a date slicer please also drop your suggestions!

This work is quite urgent for me so would appreciate any fast answerers 🙂
If you need any further clarification please let me know here or DM.
Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
FU
Helper IV
Helper IV

If you could show me an example of how it would look that would be great:)

FU
Helper IV
Helper IV

I believe the second one.

I would like to be able to select any 2 date ranges (if the file created falls within that range) I want it to show me all the records of change.

I then want to be able to filter by table as well as "Portfolio" "programme" "project" as per the above screenshot 

These columns are linked to most columns via foreign keys

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @FU,

Did you mean these records has multiple date fields? If that is the case, you can refer to the Greg’s blog ‘start date’, ‘end date’ parts to know how to analyze records across multiple date fields:

Before You Post, Read This 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FU,

What type of effect are you wanted? Filter on the excel file create date or the detailed records that stored in different files?

If you mean the first one, you can import the create/update datetime field to power bi side, then you can use it as source of slicer to filter records.

If you mean the second one, you may need to do merge with these files (add a custom field to remark the records source file), then you can use the merged date field as source of slicer to filter records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.