Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jessset
Helper I
Helper I

Variance and Variance % between 2 measures

Hi there,

I have 2 measures which by itself does a lot of calculations. However, I need the Variance between those 2 measures, and the Variance % of those 2 measures. How I've done it is as below:

• Variance = [Measure 1] - [Measure 2]
  • Variance % = [Measure 1]/[Measure 2] -1

These 4 measures are then on a matrix table.

I understand doing it this way means Measure 1 and Measure 2 will each be calculated 3 times, which is really slowing down the performance. Is there any ideas to make this quicker?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jessset 

Or you can transform Measure 1 and Measure 2  into calculate columns, so it is pre-calculated and saved in the pbix, this would increase the pbix size but increase the performance.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@jessset 

Or you can transform Measure 1 and Measure 2  into calculate columns, so it is pre-calculated and saved in the pbix, this would increase the pbix size but increase the performance.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@jessset , I think you have done it the right way. The only change you can do is

Variance % = divide([Measure 1]-[Measure 2],[Measure 2] )

This can help to improve performance

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/MBAS-Gallery/Microsoft-Power-BI-My-Power-BI-report-is-slow-What-sho...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.