Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

CloudMonkey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Using measure as filter causes visualisation to hang

Hello,

I have a measure in a visualisation filter, so that I can select only records that are in a date range (selected in a slicer) (i.e. count = 1). The measure uses USERELATIONSHIP to link the slicer's date to the data tables date. But when I try filtering by 1 the visualisation hangs until it times out.

If I clear the filter and drop the measure into the table, then it loads promptly. I can also sort by that field/measure quickly.

Please do you know how go about investigating how to make the visualisation filter also work quickly? (I've tried recreating the problem in a test database without sensitive data, but I'm not getting the same problem)

Is there a way I can establish what the problem is?

Many thanks,

CM

11 REPLIES 11
CloudMonkey
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

You can see that the date filter is picked up and although referenced in SUMMARIZECOLUMNS isn't reducing the row set at all. Everything gets computed for every row and then at the end that table only keeps rows with [Measure] = 1.

Thanks @bcdobbs but why doesn't that logic hold for the unfiltered table where the rows are sorted by the measure? It generates quickly in that situation, but doesn't it have to calculate every row just as you mention above for the filter?

Thanks

You're right certainly not answered yet!

Can you share the full query that the performance analyser when the matrix hangs? 

Does it hang when you just have the filter measure or do you only get the issue when you have everything in?

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Can you share the full query that the performance analyser when the matrix hangs? 

The "Copy query" button in performance analyzer is ghosted out, a bit frustrating as it must know the query that it is trying to run??

Does it hang when you just have the filter measure or do you only get the issue when you have everything in?

It only hangs when I have everything in. If I just have the filter measure (and a fact table field) then it's runs quickly.

Hi @CloudMonkey ,

You can try importing performance analyzer data in dax studio, simplifying the analysis of slower queries in a report.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/importing-performance-analyzer-data-in-dax-studio/ 

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Something odd there! Can you share the code for each measure. Running out of ideas but that might at least spark a line of enquiry!

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

In the live file does it hang if you just have the fields visible in the test you sent... eg Id, OrderDate, DeliveryDate and Measure1?

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

If you've built a test pbix file can you share it anyway? Realise the speed issue won't be present but it will show us how your model is setup.

I'm assuming in your main pbix file you have a much larger amount of data. Your visual filter measure is then being triggered for every single row. What we need to do is see if we can optimise that code or alter the model to speed it up but would need to see more to help.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @bcdobbs this is the test file https://file.io/nTOMlGKdIih3 

I have a lot of other measures in the 'live' file's table, which I expect is the problem. But I'm looking for a method to establish what the exact problem is 🙂

Thanks

Thanks @CloudMonkey .
So to confirm my understanding you're wanting the visual to display orders that were either ordered in the selected date range or delivered in the selected date range?

How many rows does your real Sales table have?

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @bcdobbs the real datatable has about 300,000 rows

The live file only hangs when I introduce the filter measure (i.e. the equivalent of the measures "Measure" or "Measure 2" in the test file I posted)

Hi @CloudMonkey ,
I haven't got an instant solution but the method of diagnose would be to copy the query from Performance Analyser (View >> Performance Analyzer) and see exactly what is happening. You can paste it into DAX Studio and turn on Server Timings to see how long things are taking.

Your visual filter measure on it's own isn't bad but if I create another measure and use it in the same visual I can start to get a feel for what might be happeneing. The code that comes out looks like this:

bcdobbs_0-1644850672637.png

"Delivery Time" is my new measure just for a trial.

This query is what Power Bi sends when it renders the visual.

You can see that the date filter is picked up and although referenced in SUMMARIZECOLUMNS isn't reducing the row set at all. Everything gets computed for every row and then at the end that table only keeps rows with [Measure] = 1.

Some options:

1) Use two date tables with live relationships to both Order Date and Delivery Date. That will stop every row being calcualted every time.

2) I think rather than using a visual filter if you moved the USERELATIONSHIP inside your actual measures you'd get a performance benefit. You could either use two version of each measure or if you used a disconnected table to enable you to select "Order" or "Delivery" and then test using SELECTEDVALUE in the measure to determine which relationships to activate.

Hope that gives you some starting points.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.