Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

udian
Helper III
Helper III

Using inactive relationship for filtering purposes

Hi All,

Is there a way to filter a fact tale with an inactive dimesion connection or do i have to duplicate my dimesion table for every connection with the fact table?

For example, if my fact table have two connections to the time dimension on registration date and installation date columns and the registration date is my active connection. Can is still filter in installation date?

I know that measures can relate to inactive connections using USERELATIONSHIP function and i want to know if there is somthing similar for filtering purposes?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@udian

In DAX, the USERELATIONSHIP() can only be used in CALCULATE() function. In this scenario, you can use CONTAINS() inside of FILTER() to get map columns under inactive relationship. Please refer to my sample below:

I have two tables.

Capture1.PNG

Capture5.PNG

I create two relationships, ID->Number, Name->Name, with only ID->Number active.

Capture56.PNG

To filter the bigger table, I use formula below. 

FILTER(ALL(Table4),CONTAINS(VALUES(Table3),Table3[Name],Table4[Name]))
It will filter tables based on names instead of numbers.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@udian

In DAX, the USERELATIONSHIP() can only be used in CALCULATE() function. In this scenario, you can use CONTAINS() inside of FILTER() to get map columns under inactive relationship. Please refer to my sample below:

I have two tables.

Capture1.PNG

Capture5.PNG

I create two relationships, ID->Number, Name->Name, with only ID->Number active.

Capture56.PNG

To filter the bigger table, I use formula below. 

FILTER(ALL(Table4),CONTAINS(VALUES(Table3),Table3[Name],Table4[Name]))
It will filter tables based on names instead of numbers.

Capture.PNG

Regards,

Thanks for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.