Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

23Steve32
Frequent Visitor

Use currency format but don't display any symbol

Hi,

As the title suggests is it possible to use the currency format but not display a symbol? Basically I want to be able to use brackets on negative values for columns from the raw data.

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
mezesattila
Frequent Visitor

Hey All, I found a solution :-)))

A bit looks like a hack, but it works, hopefully. I am testing it now.

So... while formatting the Measure, select the Format drop-down text. Simply, just double-click on the text inside the drop-down menu. Type in the format as in Excel. The desired code for the number format is:

#,##0.00;(#,##0.00)

... and whoala!!! the magic happens.

Finally... I was looking for this solution for ages now.

Have a nice day!

Attila

This is so cool - works a charm and I did not know you could just paste the format you want into the the tab.

Love it!!

tmendoza
Helper III
Helper III

Did you ever get a solid answer to this?

I'm going through the same thing and I don't want to use the FORMAT function because it turns my numbers into Text.

Hey All, I found a solution :-)))

A bit looks like a hack, but it works, hopefully. I am testing it now.

So... while formatting the Measure, select the Format drop-down text. Simply, just double-click on the text inside the drop-down menu. Type in the format as in Excel. The desired code for the number format is:

#,##0.00;(#,##0.00)

... and whoala!!! the magic happens.

Finally... I was looking for this solution for ages now.

Have a nice day!

Attila

23Steve32
Frequent Visitor

So when using the number formats (whole or decimal) negatives are displated with a '-', when using currency negatives are displayed with ( ) so for example -100 would show as (£100).

What I would like to have is (100) rather than (£100) - in effect a currency but not showing the £ sign. Does this make sense? 

ok understand.

Try this one.

Column = FORMAT(table[origcolumn];"#,##0.00;(#,##0.00)")
AlexBlair
Regular Visitor

As @spuder says, you just need to set the data type to "Decimal Number" and have the decimal places set to 2?

Is this what you mean?

spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

? a currency format without currency symbols is just a number (with fixed decimals)

Or did I totally misunderstand you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.