Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Unusual behavior in visual

I have a bar / line chart visual that is not displaying the line values correctly. To be absolutely sure the screenshot below is from the Show as Table view. You can clearly see the 3MRA line does NOT match its values in the table!

I've deleted and recreated the chart and the measure, but no difference. I've never seen this kind of behavior before. Any ideas?

2021-11-11_21-26-23.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Daryl_K 

The minimum and maximum values for 3MRA are vastly different.  The scale on the secondary Y axis isn't large enough to display them all properly.  If you remove the two large values for 3MRA the line displays fine.

To illustrate, change the end value on the secondary Y axis to something small like 6000, and all your smaller values will now appear on the line.  The really large ones will of cours ebe off the top of the chart, but this demonstates the issue.

yax4.png

Change the secondary Y axis Scale Type to Log and you can see all the values for 3MRA

yax5.png

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, your 3RMA values are plotted on the secondary Y axis (millions) not the 1st Y axis (thousands)  what you  are seeing is the values relative to the axis and your 3RMA are displayed relative to the Millions, not Thousands

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

So everyone was absolutely correct on this (I am still a PBI newbie), but in following everyone's advice I noticed a peculiar and undesirable (for my setup, anyway) behavior. For combo bar/line charts like this it's impossible to "sync" the y axis between the columns and the lines, which makes for a lot of confusion. Whether the secondary y axis is turned on or off, that only seems to make the secondary y axis legend visible or not - the lines are still on a completely different scale. If I configure the "end" for the secondary axis to use the column values for scaling (instead of Auto) it brings it down a little, but it's still on a totally-different scale.

There should be an option to sync them completely. In my case, for example, one of the lines is a goal line, and it looks like the columns are consistently exceeding the goal when in fact they aren't. I've pored over all settings and I don't see any way to really make an absolute sync between the two y axis. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I updated my version of Desktop and see that now there is an option to zoom on the secondary y axis also. Using this I can manually "force" a scale match between the two. It works, but is rather inelegant and I have to redo it every time.

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

You are both of course absolutely correct. No idea how this escaped me (I blame the head cold).

Thank you!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Daryl_K 

The minimum and maximum values for 3MRA are vastly different.  The scale on the secondary Y axis isn't large enough to display them all properly.  If you remove the two large values for 3MRA the line displays fine.

To illustrate, change the end value on the secondary Y axis to something small like 6000, and all your smaller values will now appear on the line.  The really large ones will of cours ebe off the top of the chart, but this demonstates the issue.

yax4.png

Change the secondary Y axis Scale Type to Log and you can see all the values for 3MRA

yax5.png

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, your 3RMA values are plotted on the secondary Y axis (millions) not the 1st Y axis (thousands)  what you  are seeing is the values relative to the axis and your 3RMA are displayed relative to the Millions, not Thousands

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.