Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jorodrig
Regular Visitor

Unexpected Error when launching Power BI Desktop (Evaluation.bin is denied)

When trying to launch PowerBI Desktop Version 2.45.4704.722 I get the following error:

************** Exception Text **************
Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.JavaScriptException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\39603815-19ff-42e3-b112-5f613cab816c\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\39603815-19ff-42e3-b112-5f613cab816c\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.TempLocalStorage.CreateFile(String filePath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.TempLocalStorage..ctor(String filePath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.FileLocalStorageManager.GetEvaluationStorage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.Local.LocalWorkspaceStorage..ctor(WorkspaceManager workspaceManager)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeBasic(String userFolderPath, String evaluationFolderPath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.InitializeLocal(String userFolderPath, String evaluationFolderPath)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.EnsureInitialized()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Storage.PackageStorageHandlers.get_LocalStorageManager()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Diagnostics.Telemetry.TelemetryManager.get_Storage()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Diagnostics.Telemetry.TelemetryManager.get_TelemetryEnabled()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UserFeedbackServicesBase.GetFeedbackParameters(IFeedbackInfo info, SendFeedbackOptions options)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetFeedbackParameters(IFeedbackInfo info, SendFeedbackOptions options)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UserFeedbackServicesBase.GetPlainTextErrorDetails(IFeedbackInfo info, WindowsHost windowsHost)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.ErrorDialog.CopyDetails()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Error: Access to the path 'C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\39603815-19ff-42e3-b112-5f613cab816c\Evaluation\Evaluations.bin' is denied.
at click (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/ts/FloatingDialog/SimpleDialog/ErrorDialog.js:35:17)
at Anonymous function (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/ts/Shared/Button.js:23:21)
at n.event.dispatch (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/OpenSource/jquery/jquery-2.1.1.js:3:6348)
at r.handle (ms-pbi://pbi.microsoft.com/OpenSource/jquery/jquery-2.1.1.js:3:3114)

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt work, and I get the same error for 32 and 64 bits versions of the app.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
gautam_power
Regular Visitor

Any solution on the issue. I am facing the same issue after Windows10 updates. Looks like it has do with that.

Any help would be great  

@gautam_power, it looks like you found solution to this an posted in a different community thread.  Since this thread came up in my search results, i'm posting link to other thread here.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unexpected-Error-when-launching-Power-BI-Desktop-Access-to-t...

Looks like my link in previous thread is broken.  Try this one:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Unexpected-Error-when-launching-Power-BI-Desktop-Access-to-t...  

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jorodrig,

I am not able to reproduce your issue. Please right click Power BI Desktop and choose “Run as administrator” to start it, then check if you can successfully launch Power BI Desktop.

If the error still occurs, please grant full control permission to your account on the C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop\39603815-19ff-42e3-b112-5f613cab816c\Evaluation folder, its subfolders and files, then check if you are able to start Power BI Desktop.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia,

Running it as administrator gets the same error.

I have edited the permisions of that folder, but the next time I launch PowerBI Desktop, the error message points to a newly created folder (using a new Guid) and not on the previous one I edited permisions. If I repeat the process it continues creating new folders, so I cannot catch up setting the permissions before the application fails to launch.

Regards,

Jorge

Hi @jorodrig,

What version of Windows server do you install Power BI Desktop on? Does the error message point to a newly subfolder under C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop each time you start Power BI Desktop? If so, please grant full permission to your account on C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop folder, subfolders and files, then check if the issue persists.

In addition, does the issue occur when you install Power BI Desktop in other machines?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia,

I am using Windows 10 1703 64bits RTM. (OS Build 15063.138). This issue does not happen on my other device. I have taked ownership and explicitly set full permissions to the folder " C:\Users\jorodrig\AppData\Local\Temp\Power BI Desktop" and I still see the same issue.

In the event viewer I can see this error that might be related to Power BI:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\ODBC Drivers\Simba Spark ODBC Driver\LibCurl64.DllA\libcurl.dll". Dependent Assembly OpenSSL.DllA,processorArchitecture="*",type="x64",version="1.0.0.4" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

Hi @jorodrig,

Based on the above error, the dll files are not installed peoperly or corrupted, could you please copy the Simba Spark ODBC Driver folder from other working machine and replace the folder in your current machine and check if the issue persists?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hello Lydia,

Thanks for your response, I have tried copying the binaries from a working device to my computer and I still have the same issues. I will continue looking for a solution on this and update this thread if I can find something that works.

Regards,

Jorge.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.