Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mlainezb

Unexpected Error: There is an error in XML document (1,1)

Every time I open my desktop version of PBI I get this error. It doesn't matter if it is a blank dashboard or an existing one. I have already tried uninstalling Desktop & Gateway. Updated to newest version of both. And still no luck, Cleared cache memory.

7 REPLIES 7
forten
Frequent Visitor

I experienced a similar problem, where this very non-specific error appeared any time I tried to open a file, or basically do anything with Power BI Desktop. It was difficult to track down, i.e. *which* XML document presents the error? 

I tried reinstalling the Power BI Desktop and the Gateway, as well as cleared cache, and the problem did not go away. After much frustration, I found the solution was to delete the AppData folder for Power BI Desktop, as the culprit was somewhere in there. In my case this folder was located at C:\Users\{user}\AppData\Local\Power BI Desktop.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mlainezb,

As suggested in this document, please try:

• Uninstall or stop the Power BI Enterprise Gateway Windows service.
  • Run Power BI Desktop with administrator privilege for a test.

As I was not able to reproduce this problem, you could create a support ticket for further advice: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have already tried to install and uninstall power BI, I don't have an enterprise gateway. For some reason when I try to create a support ticket it tells me I don't have a pro license, I have the 1 year trial, so it seems that'ts not enough to create the ticket.

is there anything else I could try?

Hi @mlainezb,

Can you get any more detailed error prompt in trace log?

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I can't attach a file here, and I can't run the PBI analyzer example that you provided, as this error is preventing me from making any changes to my existing dataset. 

Please view the file here 

https://nio365-my.sharepoint.com/personal/miriam_lainez_ni_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0c...

https://nio365-my.sharepoint.com/personal/miriam_lainez_ni_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=0e...

Hi @mlainezb,

Have you ever successfully installed and used prior desktop version on your machine? If you have the installation package of previous version, please test whether this issue only occurs to this new release.

Which operating system is running on your machine? Please check the requirements to install Power BI desktop.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

I have been able to work just fine throughout the year on my desktop version of PowerBI. This error happens in the current and previous versions. My OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bits.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.