Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

micheledubose
Resolver II
Resolver II

Understanding how Power BI Desktop Filters work

In Power BI Desktop, when using the filter pane, what is the background script that is created? I've created a Power BI report where I want to use the contain condition but I get the following error in my report: OLE DB or ODBC error: ORA-00904: "t1"."mycolumn": invalid identifier; ORA-00904: "t1"."mycolumn": invalid identifier. However, when I use the is condition, my report works. 

Below is how I'm applying the filter.

screenshot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@micheledubose,

To see the query that is generated for a visual, go to View --> Performance analyzer. Click Start recording, and Refresh visuals. Once the visual has been refreshed, click Stop. Then click Copy query and paste in Notepad++, etc. This query contains both DAX and SQL (for DirectQuery tables).

DataInsights_0-1657893127206.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
micheledubose
Resolver II
Resolver II

I more so would like to know if there's scripts in the background when creating visuals in Power BI Desktop.  Are these scripts obtainable? 

@micheledubose,

To see the query that is generated for a visual, go to View --> Performance analyzer. Click Start recording, and Refresh visuals. Once the visual has been refreshed, click Stop. Then click Copy query and paste in Notepad++, etc. This query contains both DAX and SQL (for DirectQuery tables).

DataInsights_0-1657893127206.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@micheledubose , is it a direct query connection?

If yes check the datatype of column, if it is text on source or not

It is a direct query connection.  The data type is varchar2.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.