Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prvn
Frequent Visitor

Unable to start Power BI desktop

We have a case, when the power bi desktop app is run an error pops up

pbd.png

Here are some the steps we tried,

• Installed the latest On premise gateway with admin rights, the gateway app prompted for admin creds on opening the gateway app. The gateway app started and it prompted for email which was provided which always resulted in an error.
  • Started PowerBI desktop app showed the same error on start
  • I have latest PowerBI desktop with On premise gateway 2017 on a machine that works fine. So we installed the 2017 version. The gateway app on start prompted for admin credentials. The gateway app started and prompted for new gateway creation or use existing. Create new option always gave error “Organisation does not allow to create gateway”, Use existing gateway option shows blank dropdown.
  • The PowerBI desktop app still showed same error on start.

I have few questions,

• Why is the PowerBI desktop app looking for gateway on start? Is it due to any caching of any reports that was opened, which required gateway? If yes can this be cleared for the app?
  • Few of my colleagues use PowerBI desktop they do not have on premise gateway setup nor they see this error, could you clarify?

PowerBI desktop version: 2.82.5858.1161 64-bit (June 2020)

1 REPLY 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.