Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PWRBI_USER1
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to see "PowerBIdata" option under compose in power automate

Hello,

I am trying to create a csv file using powerautomate. When I select compose, under inputs, I am unable to see the "PowerBIdata" option. All it shows are userid, username,body, entity and item. Is there anything else I need to setup? Please suggest.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you need to create the flow from within the Power Automate visual in Power BI Desktop. Otherwise you won't get the PowerBIData object.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PWRBI_USER1
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @lbendlin 

I thought I got this. But on a second try, I do not see the "Power BI Desktop" option. What am I doing incorrectly?

In my report, I just have a table visual and I am connecting Powerautomate from PBI desktop.

Thank you.

PWRBI_USER1_0-1662945821432.png

The table visual is irrelevant. The only thing that is important is the PowerAutomate visual.

Looks like you have wired it up correctly. Where are you stuck?

Thank you @lbendlin for your inputs and help. That was my bad. I accidentally did not choose the columns. Sorry for that.

One more question. When I create tasks, sometimes the powerautomate button is not getting clicked. Is there any inputs/reasons on that?

I don't know what you mean by "create tasks" 

In Power BI Desktop you need to CTRL-click the visual to initiate the flow. In the service you can do a simple click.

@lbendlin  I meant creating a flow in powerautomate. I am trying CTRL-click only. But nothing is happening most of the time. Looks to be like a plain button without action. I restarted system as well.

When I go inside powerautomate and run manually, I get error 

"The execution of template action 'Apply_to_each' failed: the result of the evaluation of 'foreach' expression '@triggerBody()?['entity']?['Power BI values']' is of type 'Null'. The result must be a valid array."

This was running fine earlier. I was just trying to create a task which creates and write a csv file to onedrive. 

Task has create array--Assign to variable--Create csv and write to onedrive.

The Power Automate visual in Power BI works based on two assumptions

1. you tie data from your Power BI data model to the Power Automate visual

2. you create the Power Automate flow via the Edit button on the visual

If both assumptions are met you will be able to reference/consume the Power BI data in the newly created flow. 

You seems to have tried an approach without item 1, and potentially without item 2. While technically possible, this is not recommended.

PWRBI_USER1
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you. I also had to upgrade my PBI desktop.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you need to create the flow from within the Power Automate visual in Power BI Desktop. Otherwise you won't get the PowerBIData object.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.