Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

j_w
Helper IV
Helper IV

Unable to install the latest Power BI Desktop

Warning message:

Please close Microsoft Power BI Desktop and click Retry to continue the installation.

unable to install.png

Server windows version: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, Service Pack 1

Do I have to restart the living server to install the latest version?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j_w,

This notice message will appear if you try to install without close the power bi desktop.

Since you mentioned you haven't open power bi and there is no power bi instances in the task manager, you can try to check if other users has launch power bi instances on server.

If this is a case, you can close other launch instances and restart the server.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @j_w,

This notice message will appear if you try to install without close the power bi desktop.

Since you mentioned you haven't open power bi and there is no power bi instances in the task manager, you can try to check if other users has launch power bi instances on server.

If this is a case, you can close other launch instances and restart the server.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I have same thing, and I'm on my own desktop no other users, no any PowerBI  (or other by name) see in application or processes.

Anybody know what  could be other process names to kill ??

Thanks

Dai

Had same issue, checked that all powerbi desktop processes are not running, checked that no logged users that could have PowerBI desktop running. The solution was to kill process PerfWatson.exe - then I was able to install PowerBi Desktop.

Hi there,

Happy to try to help. Have you opened task manager to see if there's an instance of Power BI Desktop running in the tasks? Sometimes even with no window open, a background process will run. Preventing you from installing a version.

Reid Havens - Owner

Havens Consulting Inc.

Hi @Reid_Havens

There is no instance of Power BI Desktop in the task manager.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.