Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to figure this problem out

Hi All,

I hope someone can help here, I have 2 tables called Epic and Tasks pulled from JIRA.

Tasks contains  the EPIC_PARENT_LINK, which is where you can match up the data, I have created a hierarchy in Tasks using EPIC_PARENT_LINK as the first, then ISSUE_KEY to collect the Task ID.

This provides the following 

JeffT_0-1644314893391.png

As you can see, i have chosen the values to be Status and Summary, the trouble is they have propogated up from the Task and I do not want that information on the Epic, anyone have an idea on how to stop that?

Thanks,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Might help although I do not think I have included MM3TR&R yet which is kind of what you are looking for. Try something like below. Basically at the "group" level (first hierarchy level) you are going to have multiple Tasks. So, if you have only a single Task, then you are at the second level of the hierarchy, otherwise, you are at the top level of the hierarchy. This uses HASONEVALUE instead of ISINSCOPE but same concept.

Measure =
  IF(
    HASONEVALUE('Tasks'[ISSUE_KEY]),
    MAX('Tasks'[SUMMARY]),
    MAX('Epics'[SUMMARY])
  )

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler 

PARENT_ISSUE_KEYISSUE_KEYSUMMARYISSUE_STATUSdone
CAPLO-1CAPLO-16This is just text soNew0
CAPLO-1CAPLO-17Another text fieldIn Progress0
CAPLO-1CAPLO-18yet another textDone1

The above is from the Tasks table

The below is from Epics

PARENT_ISSUE_KEYISSUE_KEYSummaryStatusDone
RMPP-1CAPLO-1different text based on epicNew0
RMPP-2CAPLO-2text based on epicIn progress0
RMPP-2CAPLO-3text based on epicdone1

So, as you can see 2 different table containing different information, but with the PARENT_ISSUE_KEY being the link between Tasks and Epics

What I would like to see is:

PARENT_ISSUE_KEYISSUE_KEYSummaryStatus
CAPLO-1 Epic summaryepic status
 CAPLO-16Task summarytask status
 CAPLO-17Task Summarytask status

As you can see from the pictures i shared earlier, the + sign opens the information about the tasks.

@Anonymous So, use ISINSCOPE in your measure to determine where you are in the hierarchy and then return either the Epics status or the Task status as appropriate. I assume the tables are related on ISSUE_KEY in Epics to PARENT_ISSUE_KEY in Tasks. Use the ISSUE_KEY from Epics in your table as the top of the hierarchy and the ISSUE_KEY from Tasks as the second level. ISINSCOPE('Tasks'[ISSUE_KEY) should return true for task lines and false for Epics lines.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler thanks for the reply, way beyond my level of understanding at the moment, as I have only been using powerBI since middle of January.

Would your tool MHGDQM help me here or would it be like throwing myself into a tank of piranha?

@Anonymous Might help although I do not think I have included MM3TR&R yet which is kind of what you are looking for. Try something like below. Basically at the "group" level (first hierarchy level) you are going to have multiple Tasks. So, if you have only a single Task, then you are at the second level of the hierarchy, otherwise, you are at the top level of the hierarchy. This uses HASONEVALUE instead of ISINSCOPE but same concept.

Measure =
  IF(
    HASONEVALUE('Tasks'[ISSUE_KEY]),
    MAX('Tasks'[SUMMARY]),
    MAX('Epics'[SUMMARY])
  )

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Thanks Greg, you are a superstar.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , seem like you have used them in values.  You should use them in row.

or create a measure using isinscope and only display at the correct level

https://www.kasperonbi.com/use-isinscope-to-get-the-right-hierarchy-level-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble is, if i use them in row it becomes like this

JeffT_0-1644315797795.png

which isn't what I want, i also have the same problem with status, it also propogates upwards.

@Anonymous Sorry, having trouble following, can you post sample data as text and expected output?
Not really enough information to go on, please first check if your issue is a common issue listed here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Before-You-Post-Read-This/ba-p/1116882

Also, please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.