Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TomBI
Frequent Visitor

Unable to delete column in Power BI desktop

Hi all, 

When I work in Power BI desktop I can delete columns from the tables that I have loaded (Import mode). A client of mine (from another organization) is not able to do this, the option "Delete from model" is not visible when opening the menu for this particular column. See the difference below. I see this every now and then with other people. Can someone tell me why this is, and how to tackle this? 

Menu on the left misses "Delete from model"Menu on the left misses "Delete from model"

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TomBI ,

One possibility is that the field she wants to delete was created from a complete calculated table.

For example, the three fields of the following calendar table are generated by only a piece of DAX code, so you can't delete one of the fields individually.

vstephenmsft_0-1681181859304.png

vstephenmsft_1-1681181936429.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
joaoribeiro
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Hi, which connection mode is he using (import, live connection, direct query)? Live connection and Direct Query have limited data modelling options on Power BI side.

Hi Joao, 

She is using import, so as far as I'm concerned it should be possible. In fact both screenshots in my post are from the same file. On my computer it does show the option, on her computer it does not. 

Hi @TomBI ,

One possibility is that the field she wants to delete was created from a complete calculated table.

For example, the three fields of the following calendar table are generated by only a piece of DAX code, so you can't delete one of the fields individually.

vstephenmsft_0-1681181859304.png

vstephenmsft_1-1681181936429.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.