Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

a_rp
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Access database

On my new laptop, I am getting an error that says "you need 64-bit version of Access Database Engine" and when I tried to install 64 bit version of Access Database Engine, it says "you need 64-bit MS Office to install 64 bit version of Access Database Engine".......I cannot change the entire MS Office to 64-bit.....is there any alternative to solve this issue? Please help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @a_rp ,

According to your description, there are four solutions that can be tried for such problems:

1. Change the version of Power BI Desktop to match the bit-version of your Microsoft Office installation.
  2. Change the bit-version of Microsoft Office to match the bit-version of your Power BI Desktop installation:
  3. If the error occurs when you attempt to open an .XLS file (an Excel 97-2003 workbook), you can avoid using the Access Database Engine by opening the .XLS file in Excel, and saving it as an XLSX file.
  4. If the previous three solutions are not feasible, it's possible to install both versions of the Access Database Engine.

For more details, you can read related document as below:

Troubleshoot importing Access and Excel .xls files in Power BI Desktop

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @a_rp ,

According to your description, there are four solutions that can be tried for such problems:

1. Change the version of Power BI Desktop to match the bit-version of your Microsoft Office installation.
  2. Change the bit-version of Microsoft Office to match the bit-version of your Power BI Desktop installation:
  3. If the error occurs when you attempt to open an .XLS file (an Excel 97-2003 workbook), you can avoid using the Access Database Engine by opening the .XLS file in Excel, and saving it as an XLSX file.
  4. If the previous three solutions are not feasible, it's possible to install both versions of the Access Database Engine.

For more details, you can read related document as below:

Troubleshoot importing Access and Excel .xls files in Power BI Desktop

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-henryk-mstf #b is what I could adopt and it did solve the issue. Thanks.

Hi @a_rp ,

Thanks for your feedback.😊

Best regards,

Henry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.