Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to 1 Shared Dataset

I was updating some reports this morning based on a shared dataset and after updating 2 reports, I am no longer able to access the centrally shared data set.  I have rebooted and am able to connect to other shared datasets, but when I try to connect to this one, my Power BI Desktop locks and then gives fatal error.  The reports are still working in Power BI service, and I am able to download a report based on the shared dataset, but when I open it, again it crashes Power BI Desktop.  I have a QA version of the dataset and am able to connect to that one just fine. I have replaced the data set and refreshed it throw our data gateway, but still am unable to connect to the shared dataset.  The updates I was making were adjusting filters and not the model.  Also tried to revert to previous version by downloading a good copy from power bi service with the same results.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this issue by signing out of Power BI Desktop and Signing back in.  Once i signed back in, it was able to connect to the shared data set without crashing Power BI Desktop.  This doesn't make sense to me because I was able to connect to other Datasets in Power BI Service, but glad it resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RyanBarkley
Frequent Visitor

I was able to resolve this issue by signing out of Power BI Desktop and Signing back in.  Once i signed back in, it was able to connect to the shared data set without crashing Power BI Desktop.  This doesn't make sense to me because I was able to connect to other Datasets in Power BI Service, but glad it resolved the issue.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@RyanBarkley ,

Please check if the dataset owner has selected the option below:

power-bi-share-report-allow-users.png 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuta-msft , I am the owner of the dataset.  I have gone into the permissions of the dataset and verified that I am still the owner.  I also checked that a security group that I am in is also listed as the owner of the dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.