Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kg808
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Edit Power App Visual

I have a Power Apps visual embedded into my Power BI report. When I click the elipsis in the top right corner of the visual and click "edit", I receive an error instead of being prompted to have Power Apps load in browser. I have used this feature many times in the past but I now continue to receive the same error every time I try to edit the Power App visual within Power BI. I have tried closing and restarting PowerBI but continue to have the same issue. This issue also persists both on Power BI desktop and on Power BI cloud workspace.

I am trying to bring in new Power BI columns to an existing Power App and am unable to do this now that this feature is not working. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

kg808_0-1672951341334.png

5 REPLIES 5
Sami2

Hi, can you try this? while loading spinner visible in the screen, click F12(developer mode) it's opening the power apps canvas app read only mode then you can open that in edit mode.

Sami2

Did you get any update from MS regarding this issue?  if could you please share the details here ?

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kg808 ,

Please check the limitations of Power App Visual, here are some limitations that may cause the problems you are experiencing :

• If you change the data fields associated with the visual, you must edit the app from within the Power BI service by selecting the ellipsis (...) and then selecting Edit. Otherwise, the changes won't be propagated to Power Apps, and the app will behave in unexpected ways.
  • The Power Apps visual can't trigger a refresh of Power BI reports and Power BI data sources from within Power BI Desktop. If you write back data from the app to the same data source as the report, your changes won't be reflected immediately in Power BI Desktop. Changes are reflected on the next scheduled refresh.
  • The Power Apps visual can't filter the data or send any data back to the report.
  • You'll need to share the Power Apps app separately from your report. Learn about sharing apps in Power Apps.
  • Power BI Report Server doesn't support the Power Apps visual.
  • Following limitations apply when using the PowerBIIntegration.Refresh() function:
    • You must create a new app from Power Apps visual in Power BI report for this function to be available in the app.
    • You must use a source that supports DirectQuery and the data connection must be created using DirectQuery method.

For more details, please refer to:

Power Apps visual for Power BI - Power Apps | Microsoft Learn

Change Power Apps Visuals and Data fields in Power BI - Perficient Blogs  

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Jianbo,

Regarding your first point, the issue still persists within the Power BI service. I am aware of the other points you have made and this has worked without issue for me in the past. This is a recent issue that started happening suddenly and it continues to occur today which makes me think its a bug related to the redirect within Power BI that points to Power Apps. Is it possible to raise a ticket so that someone can look into this further?

Thanks,

Kayla

Hi @kg808 ,

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to  How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.