Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Connect to Oracle DB

Hi

I'm trying to connect to Oracle DB. I've done the following steps:

1) I've installed Oracle Client.

2) I've configued the ODBC connection on my Windows Machine. I did a test and I could connect.

3) I added location of the tnsname.ora to the PATH.

4) I did tnsping for the TNS name and I got a response.

5) I also followed the instructions in this document Connect to an Oracle database with Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I tried to connect to the Oracle Database, I'm getting the error below. I doubt the Power BI still unable to locate the TNSNAME.ORA file though it's in the PATH.

Any ideas?

YJAMOUS_0-1669326537237.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To connect to Oracle database in Power BI Desktop, you need to make sure both the bit version of Power BI Desktop and Oracle should be the same.  Have better use the web version of Power BI Desktop instead of the Microsoft Store version

After installing Oracle database, refer these document to configure the .ora files for it:

1. Oracle Network Configuration (listener.ora , tnsnames.ora , sqlnet.ora) 
  2. Local Naming Parameters in the tnsnames.ora File 

If it still not works after configuration, please refer:

1. PowerBI desktop 64Bit oracle connection error Object reference not set to an instance of an object 
  2. Oracle connection error: Object reference not set to an instance 

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply

I believe I followed the steps and as I mentioned, when I configure ODBC on the client, I can connect successfully.

I think power BI is unable to find the Oracle Configurations. 

I've more thing to add, the Oracle database is not using the default Port. Anything I need to do regarding this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.