Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ClackamasAshley
Frequent Visitor

USING OUR OWN SHAPEFILE MAP - CONNECTING WITH A REST LINK AND CONDUCTING A SPATIAL JOIN

Hi, I have a two fold question about including my agency's own map to Power BI and connecting it to our data:

1) We have an ESRI REST link build specifically by our GIS team of our shapefile map that we use regularly, is there a way I can incorporate this live web link into Power BI as a layer so we can use it to connect with out data that has lat and long coordinates?

We are able to do this with Tableau using the 'Web Connector" data sourse type, and I  tried to use it with the 'Web" data source connector in Power BI, but I got a bunch of jibbrish and no actual map with any table attribute to work with. Here is our REST link we would like to use for the same purposes in Power BI: https://gisdev.clackamas.us/serverwa/rest/services/Test_HEX/MapServer/2

In Tableau I also need to include an ESRI server link first that is made specifically for Tableau:

ESRI Server Link:
https://connectors.tableau.com/esri/arcgis-server/1/arcgis-server.html

Not sure if this is something I would also need for Power BI to work porpoerly with our REST link also.

2) Once we have either the REST link or a shapefile in Tableau we are able to take either one and complete a spatial join with our point data using a MAKEPOINT calculation with the points' lat and longs. The spatial join then puts all of our data points in "buckets" according to what map feature they intersect with, and we are able to use those map features to filter in and out of our data set. I can't find anythin gout there that shows or demonstrates how this can be done in Power BI. Could someone please point me in the direction of something that shows me how to do this step-by-step, assuming (hopefully) it can be done in Power BI. I really apprecaite it!

Ashley Calhoun

Crime Analyst

Clackmamas County SO, Oregon

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.