Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gemcityzach
Helper III
Helper III

Two values from table lookup merging into primary table

Hey folks, I have three (3) tables in total but each has unique values I need to bring back to table 1. I'd like to bring results from Tables 2 and 3 back into table 1 by this common key. Merge isn't working because it only allows me to handle one at a table, so in table 1 I end up with null values where table 2 or table 3 didn't match. Table 1 has a keys of the form 'Ennn' or 'Rnnn' where 'n' is a number.

Right now this operation is done in Excel using an XLOOKUP for the 'E id' in the 'E table' and if that isn't available, then it looks up the same value but in the 'R table'. It works but it's all manual and we're bringing all of our reporting togetgher into PowerBI so I'd like to solve this last little puzzle.

tbl1_IDtbl1_field1tbl1_field2
E123blahblah2
R313blah againdouble the blah

I need to enrich table one for each E or R value from the corresponding 'E' or 'R' table. They share a similar form as above but in the 'E' table the IDs would only be 'E123' or 'E534', etc and in 'R table' the ID values would be 'R343' or 'R343'. Both of those types show up in Table 1 ID.

Therefore, I need to bring back field1 and field2 from Table 2 and Table 3 where tbl1_ID is present in Table 2 or Table 3. But I want to avoid the null values if possible. Table2 or Table 3 values will always contain the same strings in either table.

tbl1_IDtbl1_field1tbl2_IDtbl2_ratingtbl3_IDtbl3_rating
E123stringE123Highnullnull
R345stringnullnullR345Very Low

So it would handle nulls by just using either the outputs by Table 2 or Table 3 when there is a value 😉

tbl1_IDtbl1_field1ratingrating
E123stringHighLow
R345stringMidVery Low

2 REPLIES 2
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gemcityzach ,

What does your data model look like and can you provide relevant screenshot information and describe it?

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

datamodel.png

The data is basically OR conditioned. There will *only* be a value1 and value2 in either Table 2 or Table 3 for any specific row in Table 1. So if there is a E123 row in Table1 then populate with value1/value2 with the corresponding value1/value2 from the 'E table'. And if the Table 1 row is an R123 row, then populate the Table1 value1/value2 with the value1/value2 from the 'R table'.

Right now what I'm doing is merging both Table 2 and Table 3 onto Table 1 so I have null values where there isn't an R record or E record for each row. And then two calculated columns that look for a missing value in E-value1/E-value2 and then return R-value1/R-value2 and vice verse. So then any table 1 row will also have a value1/value present. But that feels clunky.

E.g., = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded table1", "value1", each if [#"table1_value1"] is null then [#"table2_value1"] else if [#"table2_value1"] is null then [#"table1_value1"] else "Not Assigned")

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.