Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two different dates related to the same variable! Help!

Hello Everyone!

In my databases I have two dates for the same variable. One is related to creating product code (ex. PBP/18/333, PBP/19/333, PBP/20/333) and another one is related to the date when this code was accepted by the customer (separate spreedsheet). I've made a relationship between those codes in both databases. The problem is that when i want to calculate how many codes were accepted in a specific year, codes created in other year are not included into this sum. May I ask for your help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will tel you a little tale about bumblebee. You see, scientists have proven that wings of a bumblebee are way to small to lift such big weight ... but the bumblebee doesn't know about that, and flies anyway.

I managed to fix all my issues with my report. I've cross check all databases and I'm sure that numbers shown are correct.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will still want to finish some Power BI coarse as I'm ambisious and stuborn.

Kind regards,

Daniel 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to have two different date dimensions filtering your table, or the same date dim with an active and inactive relationship. Can you post a screenshot of your model?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go. Would you be so kind and explain your solution with more detiles? I'm compleatly new to Power Bi.

MODEL.jpg

@Anonymous ,

I am unable to combine the problem description and data model share.  Can you explain with an example.

I would have moved created date to the table have code accepted

date create = minx(filter(Product,product[product code]=table[product code]),product[created at]).

Now if you have to keep both with the same date dimension. And use the same filter refer: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

In case you need to work with two different date ranges: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Modification need as the above one is on the same date in fact.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'll try to give you and example:

Project XYZ was created in 2017 (ORE created) and converted into product in 2019 (Convertions Database). Now, when I try to filter convertions dates to show only results from 2019, XYZ won't be included because it was created in 2017. It's odd and I don't know where the mistake lays...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

where are your projects stored (i.e project xyz)?

Anyway, all those bi-directional relationships are dangerous and makes the model difficult to debug. Unfortunately you HAVE TO study how powerbi works, you can't just plug & play, especially where there are several tables connected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hehe, I can see that both of us have nothing better to do on Sundays night than to write comments on power no forum 😉

Convertions, Ore created and other mentioned in the model are being stored in separate spreadsheets. I can't merge them in any way.

I know that I don't know nothing about power bi. I'm willing to learn and I'm doing everything that I can to master this software.

Anyway thank you for your commitment in solving my mystery.
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Hehe, I can see that both of us have nothing better to do on Sundays night than to write comments on power no forum "

You too 🙂

Anyway, the committment is ok BUT trust me: you CANNOT learn PBI by "starting using it and playing around". I know something like (with different levels, of course) Visual Basic, C, C++, Java, Javascript, Pascal, R, SQL and DAX.
No other language (maybe R, maybe) made me sweat blood like DAX because DAX cannot be learned one piece at a time by playing around and looking at example, forums etc. You *need* to study and really comprehend how it works inside. If you don't do it

- the best scenario is that you will fight a lot with it

- the worst scenario is that you make it work and give you a number, but that number will be wrong and you won't be able to understand why, exposing wrong numbers to your stakeholders.

Do yourself a favor. Go to sqlbi.com and run their free course.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will do that because I really want to know how to properly use power bi. I'm learning python as well.

Problem is, that I need to generate this mentioned report now and not after a year spent on learning.

May I ask you for your advice on that one?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will tel you a little tale about bumblebee. You see, scientists have proven that wings of a bumblebee are way to small to lift such big weight ... but the bumblebee doesn't know about that, and flies anyway.

I managed to fix all my issues with my report. I've cross check all databases and I'm sure that numbers shown are correct.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will still want to finish some Power BI coarse as I'm ambisious and stuborn.

Kind regards,

Daniel 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.