Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Misakita22

Translate multi-language date to single language via Translations Builder

Currently I'm considering creating the database consists from several languega information.

I have the several data sources with English, Chinese, French, and Japanese, and each data has each query in one Power BI file.

I'd like to translate each data to English using Translations Builder, but I'm not sure if it's possible with this tool.

Do you think Translations Builder is suitable tool for what I want to achieve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Misakita22 ,

As I said above, Translations Builder just translates the metadata (like column names and measure names).

vcgaomsft_1-1716357896735.png

Not the data in the record.

vcgaomsft_2-1716357913144.png

//I'd like to translate each data to English using Translations Builder...
If you want to translate every record in the table into a uniform language, you may need to consider other methods, such as calling some translation api in PowerQuery as mentioned above to translate the columns that need to be translated.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Misakita22

@v-cgao-msft,

Now I understood. Thank you for your advise.

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Misakita22 ,

Translations Builder is primarily designed to assist with adding multiple-language support to project files in Power BI Desktop. It excels in updating metadata translations associated with data model objects, including tables, columns, and measures. This is particularly useful for creating reports that support multiple languages by displaying metadata (like column names and measure names) in the user's preferred language.

However, when it comes to translating the actual data content (such as date formats or textual data within the rows of your tables), Translations Builder might not be the direct solution. Data translation requires a different approach, often involving the extension of the underlying data source with additional columns for each language or implementing a data translation strategy that might include using external translation services or custom scripts.

You might consider using an intermediate layer like Dataflow to prepare the data sources by adding additional columns for English translations as Power Query imports the data. This may require manual translation or initial setup using an automated translation service.
Azure AI Translator | Microsoft Azure

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Hello @v-cgao-msft,

Thank you for your reply.

I understood I need to use external translate tool such like Azure translation service, and I can configure the Azure translation on Translations Builder, then can ad the column to translate to English.

Generate machine translations using Azure Translator Service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Is my understanding correct?

In that case, what Iwant to know is can I set secondary language for each query.

Hi @Misakita22 ,

As I said above, Translations Builder just translates the metadata (like column names and measure names).

vcgaomsft_1-1716357896735.png

Not the data in the record.

vcgaomsft_2-1716357913144.png

//I'd like to translate each data to English using Translations Builder...
If you want to translate every record in the table into a uniform language, you may need to consider other methods, such as calling some translation api in PowerQuery as mentioned above to translate the columns that need to be translated.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.