Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Transformation of column help

Hi,

I have a connection to a data source that is regularly updating with user entered data. One of the columns it brings in contains data in the following format:

{"Label1":"Value1","Label2":"Value2","Label3":"Value3"}

I need to transform this to the following:

RowLabel1Label2Label3
1Value1Value2Value3

The issue with this column is that while the format structure is the same the labels and values are variable.

So the next row could contain the following:

{"Label3":"Value3","Label1":"Value1","Label4":"Value4"}

So the data set should now look like:

RowLabel1Label2Label3Label4
1Value1Value2Value3 
2Value1 Value3Value4

Using Power BI's JSON parser was working fantastically to perform this task except until it encoutered duplicate values (user entered error but there's no validation control on the source) within the field:

{"Label3":"Value3","Label3":"Value3","Label4":"Value4"}

or if that field was blank it then returns errors.

Any ideas on a better way to do the transform?

Cheers,

Andrew.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would use Replace Values to remove the { and } and then a series of Split, Unpivot and Pivot steps to get to what you want.  A Remove Duplicates step at the right point would take care of your duplicates.

Here's a demo to get you started:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUaqOUfJJTErNMYxRsopRCkvMKU0FMnWgokYIUSOEqDFCFMisVYrViVYyQjILVV4Hrw0mCFETmFnGBM3CLophViwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Key = _t, Dynamic = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Key", Int64.Type}, {"Dynamic", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","{","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Dynamic"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","}","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Dynamic"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value1","Dynamic",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Dynamic.1", "Dynamic.2", "Dynamic.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Dynamic.1", type text}, {"Dynamic.2", type text}, {"Dynamic.3", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"Key"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns","Value",Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({":"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false),{"Value.1", "Value.2"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Value.1", type text}, {"Value.2", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Key", "Value.1", "Value.2"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Duplicates", List.Distinct(#"Removed Duplicates"[Value.1]), "Value.1", "Value.2")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would use Replace Values to remove the { and } and then a series of Split, Unpivot and Pivot steps to get to what you want.  A Remove Duplicates step at the right point would take care of your duplicates.

Here's a demo to get you started:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUaqOUfJJTErNMYxRsopRCkvMKU0FMnWgokYIUSOEqDFCFMisVYrViVYyQjILVV4Hrw0mCFETmFnGBM3CLophViwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Key = _t, Dynamic = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Key", Int64.Type}, {"Dynamic", type text}}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type","{","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Dynamic"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","}","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Dynamic"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Replaced Value1","Dynamic",Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv),{"Dynamic.1", "Dynamic.2", "Dynamic.3"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Dynamic.1", type text}, {"Dynamic.2", type text}, {"Dynamic.3", type text}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type1", {"Key"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns","Value",Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({":"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, false),{"Value.1", "Value.2"}),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Value.1", type text}, {"Value.2", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Key", "Value.1", "Value.2"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Other Columns"),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Duplicates", List.Distinct(#"Removed Duplicates"[Value.1]), "Value.1", "Value.2")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mike,

Worked some more on your solution and it got me most of the way there.

The problem I was encountering is that when I was doing the split even though it had multiple delimiting commas, for some reason Power BI would only split into two columns (don't think this is expected behaviour but couldn't find out why it was doing this).

By using this code

SplitByDelimiter = (table, column, delimiter) =>

let
            Count = List.Count(List.Select(Text.ToList(Table.Column(table, column){0}), each _ = delimiter)) + 1,
            Names = List.Transform(List.Numbers(1, Count), each column & "." & Text.From(_)),
            Types = List.Transform(Names, each {_, type text}),
            Split = Table.SplitColumn(table, column, Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(delimiter), Names),
            Types = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Split, Types)
        in
            Types,

it allowed the split to iterate until all comma delimits had been processed.

Thanks sincerely for the prompt response and assist.

Cheers,

Andrew

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mike.

To clarify my example from my original description I see there are three problems on transformation that I need to overcome.

1. No logical order to the data in the field but needs to be transformed under the correct columns

For example :-

Field 1 - {"Column1":"Value1","Column2":"Value2","Column3":"Value3"}

Field 2 - {"Column3":"Value3","Column1":"Value1","Column4":"Value4"}

Both Field 1 and 2 "Value3" need to be in the "Column3" column

2. Duplicate values in the fields imported

Field 3 - {"Column3":"Value3","Column3":"Value3","Column4":"Value4"}

One "Value3" should end up in "Column3" column.

3. More data added in to the field on new refresh. Requirement to create new columns automatically.

Field 4 - {"Column1":"Value1","Column2":"Value2","Column3":"Value3","Column4":"Value4","Column5":"Value5"}

A new "Column5" needs to be created and "Value5" appropriately located.

All these examples should create a table resulting in something like this:

RowColumn1Column2Column3Column4Column5
1Value1Value2Value3  
2Value1 Value3 Value4 
3  Value3Value4 
4Value1Value2Value3Value4Value5

The JSON convertor in Power BI handled this all brilliantly except for encountering duplicates as per example 2.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.