Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PaginatedDino
Helper I
Helper I

Tip: Perspectives on a big Power BI dataset vs old multidimensional cubes (XMLA enabled only)

Hi,

Ref: Let users personalize visuals in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

In our old multidimensional SSAS setup it was possible to create perspectives that would limit the view on which tables/columns one would be able to see. This was handy since the main tool used by business to explore this is Excel and there when trying to connect they had to first pick a perspective before they would be able to plot the data. The data connector chosen was "from database/From Analysis Services" where you would be able to directly select the required perspective. But it seems you cannot get to a proper way of authenticating since we use Azure Active directory.

However in Power BI this seemed impossible since the main connection you would use to connect to a Power BI data set is well ... a Power BI dataset which does not seems to offer a possibility unless you would connect and then afterwards would specify the perspective explicitly in the data source settings: 

PaginatedDino_0-1685439897443.png

PaginatedDino_1-1685440085071.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaginatedDino
Helper I
Helper I

To come back to this,  I found out you can still do it the old/multidimensional way, but the crux lies in the authentication which is confusing.

You can ignore the PowerPlatform options and instead choose:

PaginatedDino_0-1686034906637.png

Then we need to paste the following server name and choose “log on credentials - user name/password”.

PaginatedDino_1-1686034943492.png

These fields you can leave empty and click next where you will be prompted to confirm you AAD identity.

After this you'll have the option to choose the model or perspectives:

PaginatedDino_2-1686034998571.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaginatedDino
Helper I
Helper I

To come back to this,  I found out you can still do it the old/multidimensional way, but the crux lies in the authentication which is confusing.

You can ignore the PowerPlatform options and instead choose:

PaginatedDino_0-1686034906637.png

Then we need to paste the following server name and choose “log on credentials - user name/password”.

PaginatedDino_1-1686034943492.png

These fields you can leave empty and click next where you will be prompted to confirm you AAD identity.

After this you'll have the option to choose the model or perspectives:

PaginatedDino_2-1686034998571.png

PaginatedDino
Helper I
Helper I

@Amit  well I might have posted this in the wrong location, but it's not a question rather it's a tip. The situation above handles the situation when you already added perspectives with Tabular Editor. So while I appreciate your feedback I have a bit of the feeling you did not properly read the content. Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.