Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RomainBiniek

Timeout on refresh

Hello,

I have a problem with automatically refresh since 2 days.

for example on one report, the refresh launch automatically at 8:00 AM.

Normally, the refresh during 5 minutes, but today, I have a timout after 5hours.

refresh daily report.jpg

After the timeout, I revive the refresh. But after 1h, It's don't finish.

I published the same report in the workspace and refresh this. After 5min and the refresh is ok but not on the first report.

refresh rescue.jpg

For information the report take only 30Mo and the data source is 300Mo.

The Workspace is Premium.

stockage.jpg

Yesterday, it's an other report had this problem. This report is well refresh today

Have you ever had this problem ?

Many thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RomainBiniek

Hi,

After analysis with power bi metric, there is a problem of performance on the premium workspace.

Thanks for your help,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RomainBiniek

Hi,

After analysis with power bi metric, there is a problem of performance on the premium workspace.

Thanks for your help,

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RomainBiniek ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RomainBiniek ,

If you are using the Import mode, th loading time depens on the size of your model (rows and columns), network status between pc and datasource, and also the performance of pc which runs the power bi. At last, calculated columns and calculated tables are computed during the database processing and then stored in the model, it will also increase the load time. You can follow this documents to optimize data model and reduse the load time.

The reasons about load time can be also the following:

1. Data Model (rows, columns, tables, you can follow this article to optimize the data model)
  2. Hardware Performance (either be data source or computer running power bi desktop, check usage while importing to see if any one reach the bottleneck)
  3. Network Performance(mainly when using gateway to imported into service, check the gateway bandwidth usage while refreshing)

And according to your description, you want to set the timeout property in power bi. I think there are two ways to achieve this:

First is to open the advanced options when connecting to the data source and enter the time out minutes, like this:

v-luwang-msft_0-1616143805369.png

Second is to open the advanced editor in Power query editor and change the M query to set the time out manually, like this:

v-luwang-msft_1-1616143805373.png

Here’s a solution that explains how to set a max run time / timeout for Power Query in detail, you can take a look and find if it’s useful:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51718344/how-to-set-a-max-run-time-timeout-for-power-query

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best regards,

Lucien

RomainBiniek

Hi

I don't use a gateway. Data source are on the Sharepoint and the identification is OK.

In my organization, we have 4 report (Data source are on the same Sharepoint) with refresh automatically at 8:00 AM

Only 1 or 2 don't refresh.

Other question : It is possible to change the timeout for refresh : 5h is too long - Normaly the refresh lasts for max 30 minutes

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@RomainBiniek , Are you using the gateway? If yes make sure that is up and running. Check for any error at the gateway level

Troubleshoot gateway, if needed
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot
https://guyinacube.com/2016/09/21/troubleshooting-connectivity-tips/

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.