Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pmurz
Advocate III
Advocate III

Text Search Deprecated - what is its replacement?

I am using Text Search and it tells me in the notice below, that it is being deprecated.   The message does not say what is replacing it.  What should I use instead?   Thank you

Visual is not supported and will be deprecated

This visual is using an Old version of interface be deprecated soon. Please replace this visual with an alternative one from our marketplace.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BamDastard
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

All ( @Anonymous @pmurz @mlucking @motoray ),

MS support just contacted me and confirmed that the Text Filter visual will NOT be deprecated in response to community requests. The deprecation warning will go away within a week.

BamDastard_0-1635437962548.png

EDIT: It looks like they have pulled it from AppSource and the warning has returned. I have reopened my case and reached out to the product team for an update.

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51
Arwin
Regular Visitor

Hi, The Text Filter won't be deprecated as stated my MS on Oct 28, 2021. The warning meassage will dissapear within a week.

The warning message is still there and can this be verified?

lasersharks
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

I'd like to make two points.

1. This seems like a huge risk for anyone using PBI if MS can arbitrarily remove a visual and it affects all your published reports. It is incredible that MS think this is a sensible policy and could end up breaking reports that may be working perfectly fine. As a consultant, how can I tell my client that the report they paid for works today but it may break tomorrow without much warning and you'll have to pay me again to rectify. No visual should be ever be removed in this way unless there is a serious security concern with no other option. 
  2. The text filter is about as basic as it gets. If anything, MS should be providing more functionality and not less.  A regular requirement for me is to search on multiple columns. I achieve this by combining 2 or more columns in PQ which can then be searched by the visual. This obviously creates a redundant column and adds to my model size and it would be better if the visual allowed more than one column in the field well.

Can't agree more. 

Smart Filter Pro can seach multiple columns at once:

https://okviz.com/smart-filter-pro/

I agree!
It’s amazing that they do the ability to automatically create complex dax formulas without having the simplest filter.
For example, I can't even do multiple searches for a single column.
Let’s say I need a search for three keywords, and separating them * will only work if the words are written in a special order.
If I change the search order, it no longer finds rows.
It's so bad for me.

BamDastard
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

All ( @Anonymous @pmurz @mlucking @motoray ),

MS support just contacted me and confirmed that the Text Filter visual will NOT be deprecated in response to community requests. The deprecation warning will go away within a week.

BamDastard_0-1635437962548.png

EDIT: It looks like they have pulled it from AppSource and the warning has returned. I have reopened my case and reached out to the product team for an update.

It appears it is back in the AppSource but even when the visual is added to a new report, the message remains "Visual is not supported and will be deprecated".

I have also updated Power BI Desktop to the latest version (October 2021). 

Unfortunately, Text Search has been removed from the Visuals Marketplace.

It does look like it is giving a 404 when trying to pull it up in AppSource. I am reopening my ticket.

EDIT: The product team has confirmed this was dropped during a migration and it will be restored in AppSource within a week.

Olá, li todos comentário por aqui.
Continua não aparecendo no Marketplace, tomara que realmente volte.

Estou observando o AppSource e ainda tenho minha solicitação de suporte aberta com a Microsoft. Vou postar todas as atualizações que receber aqui.

Glad it is staying. I built so many reports with this visual and could not find an alternative. It is so such a powerful and simple visual that enables sophisticated applications to be built. It is still PBI certified yet comes with this deprecated warning message so that has been confusing to boot recently. Once a visual is PBI certified it can't just be for a point in time, it has be there for the long term so developers can rely on its existence and the future maintainbility of reports. 

Thank you, @BamDastard !!

This is great news!!    I really like the simplicity and small size of this VISUAL.

Of course, I still do hope MS continues to invest and improve our options for search/filter that might target multiple columns, an entire table, or dare I say, a page/report. 

A page/report search all from one visual...that's crazy talk. But I guess we can all dream!

Fantastic! Thank you for the update.

That's great news!!!

jeggert
Frequent Visitor

Seriously - this is deprecated?  This is a "PBI Certified" visual from Microsoft themselves.

motoray
Helper V
Helper V

Same problem here--following. The standard slicer is not a good substitute--nor is the filter pane.

kstiegler
Advocate I
Advocate I

Following this issue, too. The Text Search visual is by far the most useful visual in many reports, very much hoping there will be an identical replacement if it really is deprecated.

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pmurz ,

Please see the similar post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/About-quot-Text-Filter-custom-visual-quot-Is-it-true-that-t...

It is suggested to use Search option in the slicer instead.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.