Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Text Forced Enter/Return

I have an excel file as datasource and within the excel file, there is one column that contains long texts that have forced return within the text.

When pulling in the text field into PowerBI table visual, the forced return is shown as "_x000D_".

I'm surprised not very much has been discussed here on the forum. I tried using the Query Editor's "Replace Value" function selected "Carriage Return" under Advanced Options --> "Replace using special characters".  But it didn't work.

Aside from going into Excel and use "Clean" formula to remove the forced returns, can the fix be done within PowerBI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually after many tries over 3 days, I finally found a solution to my issue, so I am here to share:

In Query Editor: 

Value to Find: _x000D_

Replace With: #(cr) --> Special Character for Carriage Return

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually after many tries over 3 days, I finally found a solution to my issue, so I am here to share:

In Query Editor: 

Value to Find: _x000D_

Replace With: #(cr) --> Special Character for Carriage Return

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

I couldn't understand how it solved the problem.
My data has "_x000D_ written at the end.
Can you help me?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

In the Query Editor, select the column with the special characters.  Then under the Transform tab, select Replace Value.

A menu pops up, and at the bottom of the menu, expand "Advanced Options", and select "Replace using Special Characters".

Then follow the solution post in this thread.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much @Anonymous !!!!!! You saved my life 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.