Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmeu
Advocate III
Advocate III

Target pbix file to previous version

Where I work, due to network policies outside of our control, some users do not receive automatic updates to the most current version of the desktop software for several months after it is released. Downloads from the store are blocked, and users are not able to install the application themselves.

I have a report which was developed using the most recent release, and a requirement to have another developer modify the report. They are on the old version and are unable to open the file because the version numbers do not match.

How can I save the pbix file and target a previous release version? Alternatively, is there some way to modify the underlying data to enable opening in previous versions? This is a frequent pain point for us..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@cmeu not sure if there is any solution for this until someone did some hacking with pbix which will not be recommended.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Clinical_Epi
Advocate III
Advocate III

Its a shame there istn a fix for this as when using the Power BI Report Server version of the pbi desktop software (which on the surface appear the same) users find they they built one in the wrong version - cant upload to the server and find that they then cant open it in the correct "Desktop " version for Power Bi Report Server...

Hi @cmeu ,

has your question been answered?

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @cmeu ,

Normally you can open the latest pbix file on not too old version desktop client, they can be compatible with the new version pbix file. (power bi will shows notice of some feature not available on old version, pbix file still can be opened)
If they are any preview/latest features or visuals existed in pbix(major update on features or visuals), they can only open on the latest version. (old version will show the notice and closed automatically)

I'd like to suggest you try to make a template file and send it to your users.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@cmeu not sure if there is any solution for this until someone did some hacking with pbix which will not be recommended.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @cmeu ,

check this out.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Supporting-older-versions-of-Power-BI-Desktop/td-p/343667

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Unfortunately no, that doesn't solve it.

We get the error message when we open the file in the older client version. Installing the upgrade would certainly solve it, but we aren't able to do that in our managed environment. The requirement is to modify that PBIX file, so publishing to the service won't help, either. 

What I am looking for is a way to convert (downgrade) the file, Save it As a prior version (compatibility mode??), or modify the file in some way so that the version check won't prevent the file from being loaded with the error.

Thanks!

Did you get a solution to this ?  I have a similar situation now. I created a report in August version but everyone is having May version. They cannot see my report. Im afraid to unistall the latest version as i might lose the data.  Please advise

Nothing satisfying - the only real answer is that everyone needs to keep upgrading continuously to ensure compatibility 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.