Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TomaszKowalik

Table with dynamic number of columns to display in report

Hello,

I have the following situation: a table is auto-generated and stored in the database. This table is dynamic, means the number and order of columns and the data type of the columns varies, depending on the source data.

Now I would like to generate a report in Power BI in order to visualize the table and the contained data. Problem is, that the underlying table structure may change.

My question: is it possible with Power BI to auto refresh such report, means the data structure, depending on the table structure of the source? And that in case of change of the table structure the visualized table in Power BI will be refreshed accordingly, w/o manual adjustment of the report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TomaszKowalik ,

Is the way getting your data Directquery or Connect Live? If yes, once you make any changes in data source, the report will auto refresh.

You can go through the link to learn more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RKM
Helper IV
Helper IV

If @TomaszKowalik  decides that the reply of @v-xicai  is the answer of his question, then I'm fine and I have absolutely no objection.

But somehow looking at the question and the answer (marked as solution), it doesn't seem like, it is really an answer.

Question is very very clear... there is a table dynamically generating in DB with different list of columns and challenge is how to get Power BI to display it- because all your Table Visual etc. expects Pre Defined list of columns to display.

Honestly I also am still searching for such solution, but seems its not easy. What I potentially can suggest (although not always possible in easy way) is to Pivot that table Dynamically at DB layer and Bring it in the form of <Key Columns, Field, Value> and then use a matrix in Power BI to pull and display those.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @TomaszKowalik ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case.

Best regards

Amy Cai

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TomaszKowalik ,

Is the way getting your data Directquery or Connect Live? If yes, once you make any changes in data source, the report will auto refresh.

You can go through the link to learn more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.