Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Table row selection cause filtering to break

Hi,

I have three table with the following data and relationships

1. Epic

raghunandan_0-1639289187298.png

2. Story

raghunandan_1-1639289233089.png

3. Task

raghunandan_2-1639289294481.png

4. Relationships

raghunandan_3-1639289382708.png

I have the following visuals setup:

A. Each table filters the other two tables

raghunandan_4-1639289439841.png

B. The issue is as follows:

B.1 When I click on E1 from the first table then Story Number and Task Number is filtered - So far good.

raghunandan_5-1639289528559.png

B.2 When I click on S2, then Task Number is filtered but both Story Number reverts to the full list  and Epic Number also goes back to the original state! 

raghunandan_6-1639289688037.png

What I want is that on clicking S2 is

• Epic Number should still continue to highlight E1
  • Story Number should still show visual B.1
  • Task Number should show T4..T6

So basically selection of a row in the Story table seems to revert the filtering on the Epic table and the filtering earlier applied to itself (Story table).

13 REPLIES 13
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

B.2 When I click on S2, then Task Number is filtered but both Story Number reverts to the full list  and Epic Number also goes back to the original state! 

raghunandan_6-1639289688037.png

What I want is that on clicking S2 is

• Epic Number should still continue to highlight E1
  • Story Number should still show visual B.1
  • Task Number should show T4..T6

So basically selection of a row in the Story table seems to revert the filtering on the Epic table and the filtering earlier applied to itself (Story table).

In your scenario, when you filter on the Story Number, please hold down the "Ctrl" key.

Icey_0-1639967577699.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that works, although it's not something I can expect end users of the report to do. Is there a better solution?

Raghu

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm afraid not.

Could you let me know why do you want to use Table visual to filter data? Does "Slicer" not meet your requirements?

Icey_0-1639980603589.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The use case for the end user is as follows:

1. The user selects the slicer for the project.

2. The EPIC's User Story's and Tasks get filtered/pupulated in each of the three visuals.

3. The use can browse EPIC status and then click on a particular EPIC to dig deeper if the progress is not per expectation.

4. The Story's will be filtered per EPIC. The user can then browse the list of Story's and then click on a particular Story to dig deeper if the progress is not per expectation.

5. The Tasks will be filtered per Story. 

With this approach, the user will not need to reach to a slicer for each EPIC or user story but can browse unhindered.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If so, how about using drill-through? It can also be achieved by left-clicking instead of right-clicking.

For more details, you can refer to this blog: Several factors influencing Drill through feature ... - Microsoft Power BI Community.

1. By opening the relevant components, we can open the Drill through button in Power BI Desktop/Power BI Services with the left mouse button.

Here is an example:

drillthrough.gif

Best Regards,

Icey

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Can this workaround meet your requirements?

Best Regards,

Icey

Thingsclump
Resolver V
Resolver V

Hi @Anonymous 

First of all I like the way you have explained the issue. Below solution worked for me. I usually avoid setting cross filter direction as both. but in your case, thats what is needed i think.

Thingsclump_0-1639320966064.png

When E1 is selected.

Thingsclump_1-1639321010890.png

When S2 is selected.

Thingsclump_2-1639321037268.png

Don't forget to Mark this as a solution if i answered your question.

Thanks

Thingsclump

www.thingsclump.com 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Please see the step which is not as per my expectation.

raghunandan_0-1639371295162.png

Raghu

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure if I understood correctly your question, but please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

What I did was I create a measure like below, and put it into the filter pane and create a condition like below for the two visualizations.

Task Number measure: =
IF ( MAXX ( Task, RELATED ( Epic[Epic Number] ) ) = BLANK (), 0, 1 )

Picture1.png

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the response. The issue is that when I select S2 in the second table, the visual shows all the values i.e. S1..S6 instead of S1..S3

Raghu

I would use power query to merge all three tables into a single "task" dimension. Each row would be a task but also contain columns for story and epic. It's then much easier to build hierarchies.

Currently you have a snowflake, while power bi likes star schema. Although it looks like you'd be duplicating lots of data, the way verticac works results in the model being small.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema#snowflake-dimensions

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if I merge all the tables using Power Query into 1, if I have three visuals as per above, I have the same problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.