Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hmokkapati
Helper II
Helper II

TABLE.EXPANDTABLECOLUMN issue - does not work as expected when new column is added in data

Hello,

I have a source excel with week as headers. Every week a new column is added. So when Power BI Expands this table in the below code, the column names are hardcoded. Instead is there a way that the newly added column can be automatically taken care in the "Expanded Data" step and I do not have to hardcode the column numbers. 

#"Removed Other Columns2" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Data"}),
 #"Expanded Data" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns2", "Data", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", AND SO ON ............................."Column197", "Column198", "Column199", "Column200", "Column201", "Column202"}),

Weeks.PNG

Appreciate any pointers

Thank You,

Harisha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Lydia,

This has been solved. I actually rewrote the code as below to open the excel in a different way instead of doing ExpandTableColumns which would list down all the columns

//Fetch the file from Sharepoint Location
    Source = SharePoint.Files("<path of the Sharepoint folder>", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"Filtered Rows8" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Folder Path] = "<folder path>"),
    #"Filtered Rows5" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows8", each ([Name] = "<file name>")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows5",{"Content"}),

//code to expand the Data irrespective of column names
    #"Sheet1" = Excel.Workbook(#"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content], null, true),
    #"Sheet1_Sheet" = #"Sheet1"{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

in #"Sheet1_Sheet"

Thanks for offering to help.

Cheers,

Harisha

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hmokkapati,

Could you please share  me the source Excel file so that I can reproduce?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lydia,

This has been solved. I actually rewrote the code as below to open the excel in a different way instead of doing ExpandTableColumns which would list down all the columns

//Fetch the file from Sharepoint Location
    Source = SharePoint.Files("<path of the Sharepoint folder>", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"Filtered Rows8" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Folder Path] = "<folder path>"),
    #"Filtered Rows5" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows8", each ([Name] = "<file name>")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows5",{"Content"}),

//code to expand the Data irrespective of column names
    #"Sheet1" = Excel.Workbook(#"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content], null, true),
    #"Sheet1_Sheet" = #"Sheet1"{[Item="Sheet1",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],

in #"Sheet1_Sheet"

Thanks for offering to help.

Cheers,

Harisha

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.