Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sumifs equivalent Dax not working

Hi Everyone,

I keep getting errors on my Dax and nothing seems to work so I was wondering if someone has come across something similar.

I have a table with all the orders and customer Id's and I am trying to sum the number of orders each customer has by customer ID. Some of the orders are duplicated on the table so  I am trying a distinct count. Also, there are orders that have zero value there which I need to exclude as they are exchanges

i initially tried

column = IF('custom table'[value]=>0,
DISTINCTCOUNT('custom table'[order name]),
ALLEXCEPT('custom table','custom table'[customer email]))

that didnt seem to work and I kept getting numeric error so I then created an extra column tagging all orders above with value above zero as "processed orders" and tried to readjust my syntax but that didnt seem to work either.

column = IF('custom table'[Order type]="Processed Order",
DISTINCTCOUNT('custom table'[order name]),
ALLEXCEPT('custom table','custom table'[customer email]))

Any idea on what can I do to fix this?

Thank you in advance 🙂

12 REPLIES 12
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share some data and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have attached below an excel example of my data and what they look like.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 09.13.19.png

what i want to get frm this calculation that I am trying to do is to be able to get a bar chart showing number of customers that has 5 purchases on theirs records,6,7,10,20 etc.in order to be able to see how many purchases do returning customers tend to have.

Hi,

Share the download link of your PBI file and for a sample sample show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guys,

UPDATE: I managed to get it work 🙂

Its seems that due to size of the rows the calculations werent working well but I created an extra field with an if statement which would class the row (I created the extra column because there were some zero value orders that I needed to keep) and then I filter the data though Power query saved and applied,and did an extra column with the below formula,this sorted my issue.

lets see result = CALCULATE(COUNT(ORDERS_NEW[NAME]),ALLEXCEPT(ORDERS_NEW,ORDERS_NEW[EMAIL]))

Thank you everyone for your help 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ashish_Mathur 

I cant share my PBIX files as it contains confidential data,hence I attached a sample of the data on excel.

In regards ro the desired result,i have described it quite clearly I belive,but if there is something confusing could you please tell me and maybe I can try to explain it.If I could put the desired result on PBIX file I would but in that case I wouldnt need to publish my question.

What do you mean by - "number of customers that has 5 purchases on theirs records,6,7,10,20 etc.".  On a dummy dataset, show this expected result.

Furthermore, i am not going to create a dataset and also solve your question.  The least i would expect of you is to share a dummy (but representative) dataset and show the expected result on that dummy dataset.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Power Query won't solve the issue as it shouldn't be used to do Calculations. Your formulas( column = IF...)  are not correct. Can you share a Sample of your model? it's better and faster to help you with your issue  

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have attached below an excel example of my data and what they look like.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 09.13.19.png

what i want to get frm this calculation that I am trying to do is to be able to get a bar chart showing number of customers that has 5 purchases on theirs records,6,7,10,20 etc.in order to be able to see how many purchases do returning customers tend to have.

Jos_Woolley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

How many rows' worth of data are we talking about?

Based on what you've said, it might be preferable to do this in Power Query.

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @Jos_Woolley,

its around 2.1 million rows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jos_Woolley ,

The measure wouldnt work in my case as i want after that calculation i want to sum the number of users that had 10 purchases in their records,14,15,16,17 etc.

I tried the calculated column but the syntax seems to get stick working on it for more than 30 min.

Jos_Woolley
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

Wouldn't this make more sense as a measure, instead of a calculated column?
Measure:

Unique Orders =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'custom table'[order name] ),
    'custom table'[value] > 0
)

Or, calculated column:

Unique_Orders =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'custom table'[order name] ),
    FILTER (
        'custom table',
        'custom table'[customer email] = EARLIER ( 'custom table'[customer email] )
            && 'custom table'[value] > 0
    )
)

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.