Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nicplancho
Helper I
Helper I

Sum of unique values for a set of columns

Hi guys,

I'm a bit stuck with a calculation...

As you can see on the table attached, I get two lines for the same entry which leads to many duplicates in a basic sum and thus I would need to get the unicity of the ensemble {Date, Team, Project Category, Project Type} to be able to kill those duplicates.

I believe the answer should come from SUMX(SELECTCOLUMNS()) or SUMX(SUMMARIZE()) but the syntaxes have evolved lately and I don't really manage to get those functions work.

Thanks in advance for your help !

DateFile.NameDepartmentProjectCategoryProjectTypeValues

01/08/2022FileName_082022.xlsbTeam Acategory1ProjectType10.7
01/08/2022FileName_072022.xlsbTeam Acategory1ProjectType1

01/08/2022FileName_072022.xlsbTeam Bcategory1ProjectType1

01/09/2022FileName_072022.xlsbTeam Bcategory1ProjectType2

01/09/2022FileName_082022.xlsbTeam Bcategory1ProjectType2

01/09/2022FileName_082022.xlsbTeam Ccategory2ProjectType3

01/07/2022FileName_072022.xlsbTeam Ccategory1ProjectType2

01/07/2022FileName_082022.xlsbTeam Ccategory1ProjectType2

3 REPLIES 3
nicplancho
Helper I
Helper I

I updated my original message by adding more rows so that you may better understand.

As you can see in this table, for the ensemble {Date, Team, Project Category, Project Type}, we get duplicates and those duplicates lead to a wrong sum when I try to sum those results, thus my whole target is to manage to implement a sum based on the unicity of the ensemble {Date, Team, Project Category, Project Type}. Is this clearer now ?

I have managed to do this by using SumDistinctActuals = SUMX(DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Table1,"Date, Team, Project Category, Project Type", [Date]&", "&[Team]&", "&[ProjectCategory]&", "&[ProjectType])), CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Values]))).

This formula works when I pick only 1 date, 1 team, 1 project category and 1 project type.

As soon as I pick more through a slicer, the calculation is wrong again unfortunately. Any idea how I could get around this issue please ?

Thanks in advance for your support,

Nicolas.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nicplancho ,

What is your desired output? Although you use a lot of words to describe your thoughts, I still don't understand them.

Could you please provide more details with your desired output and pbix file without privacy inforamtion?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nicplancho
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to get things work for 1 value at a time with the following formula SumDistinctActuals = SUMX(DISTINCT(SELECTCOLUMNS(Table1,"Date, Team, Project Category, Project Type", [Date]&", "&[Team]&", "&[ProjectCategory]&", "&[ProjectType])), CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[Values]))).

As said it works when I pick only 1 team, 1 project and 1 date but as soon as I select several values in my slicer (i.e Team A and Team B or Project A and Project B) then the results are completely wrong.

I believe it's linked with the fact that the operation MAX is getting confused by the filters' modification.

Would you have any clue about how to work around this issue please ?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.