Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

mike87
Frequent Visitor

Sum data by month

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Power BI, so this might be an easy fix, but I haven't been able to "google" the answer.

I have a data set with reported incidents which is either resolved within the time limit or not. Unfortunately, I am not able to upload the data due to privacy. However, I have created a very simple example of the data in excel which should illustrate the problem.

data.PNG

I want to crate a new table and group/sum all cases which is resolved within the time limit by month, and calculate the percentage. 

I have literally no clue how to do it with DAX.

data2.PNG

Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mede
Resolver I
Resolver I

@mike87 this is fairly easy and there are multiple ways:

For both ways make sure that your Date column is in date format. PBI recognizes your Date as a hierarchy of Year, Quarter, Month and Date; in a visual you can remove year, quarter and date leaving just Month. Alternatively you can create a calculated column for month by New Column >> Month = MONTH('Dim Date'[Date]) 

Easy way: Create a matrix, bring your date (Month) into rows, ResolvedWithinLimit into Columns, incident id (aggregation: count distinct) into values. Then display t the values (count distinct of incident ids) as a percentage of row total using quick measures.

A little bit more advanced way: create a new measures using the magical CALCULATE & ALL DAX functions.

Count of ResolvedWithinLimit = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(incident_id), ResolvedWithinLimit = 1)

Count of all resolved = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(incident_id), ALL(ResolvedWithinLimit)

ResolvedWithinLimit% = Count of ResolvedWithinLimit / Count of all resolved (change type to percentage)

Create a matrix where Month is in rows and drag these new measures into Values of your matrix.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mede
Resolver I
Resolver I

@mike87 this is fairly easy and there are multiple ways:

For both ways make sure that your Date column is in date format. PBI recognizes your Date as a hierarchy of Year, Quarter, Month and Date; in a visual you can remove year, quarter and date leaving just Month. Alternatively you can create a calculated column for month by New Column >> Month = MONTH('Dim Date'[Date]) 

Easy way: Create a matrix, bring your date (Month) into rows, ResolvedWithinLimit into Columns, incident id (aggregation: count distinct) into values. Then display t the values (count distinct of incident ids) as a percentage of row total using quick measures.

A little bit more advanced way: create a new measures using the magical CALCULATE & ALL DAX functions.

Count of ResolvedWithinLimit = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(incident_id), ResolvedWithinLimit = 1)

Count of all resolved = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(incident_id), ALL(ResolvedWithinLimit)

ResolvedWithinLimit% = Count of ResolvedWithinLimit / Count of all resolved (change type to percentage)

Create a matrix where Month is in rows and drag these new measures into Values of your matrix.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Create a column:

Month = MONTH([Date])

Create a table visualization and put Month and ResolvedWithinLimit (sum). You can also do a "Show As" "Percent of grand total".

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.