Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yasbos
Resolver I
Resolver I

Strange Problem: visuals no longer allowing fields to be dropped in axes

Team. This is a very strange and frustrating problem. Power BI suddenly not allowing me to drop fields in Y-axis or x-axis or secondary axis. It just won't let it happen. I know that I'm not doing anything wrong because, even existing visuals, if I remove the field from the axis, I can't drop the very same field back in again! It will let me drop the field in, say, Small Multiples, but when I right-click and select move to y-axis (just trying to trick it to work), it just highlights the dropdown arrow. It lets me drop it in Legend, too. It won't let me drop it in Tooltips either! Has anyone seen anything like this? I restarted the computer. I uninstalled/reistalled the latest version in order to resolve the problem --all to no avail. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks @v-yueyunzh-msft . That's very kind of you. You see, I must've not been clear (forgive me please), but I restarted the computer, uninstalled:reinstalled the desktop, restarted again, all to try to resolve the problem, but it still didn't get fixed. It wasn't that the problem happened after I updated the desktop. No. Anyway, it just wouldn't allow me to drop fields in the axis boxes or in the tooltip box. It wouldn't do it for any visual. Visuals that were already created before the problem also exhibited the same behaviour after I removed a field from the axis box--it wouldn't let me drop it back in. I struggled with it for hours, and, finally, I decided to recreate the pbix file. That honestly ruined my weekend 🙂 Now, everything works as expected. I would probably still create the ticket, just so your team can get to the root cause and prevent it from happening again. I'm on my phone right now, so I might do it tomorrow or in the next couple of days. Thanks again for your support.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Lilian_df

Hello, I'm facing the same problem with my file. Has anyone found a solution? The file was working correctly, but suddenly I'm unable to input data into the value fields of the charts. For existing data, if I remove it, I can't add it back or change the aggregation type. It appears that Power BI is not correctly recognizing the numeric data type of the columns, despite them being configured accurately. When I check the sidebar, the numeric columns don't show the summation symbol.

Hi, Lilian_df. I had to recreate the dashboard 😞 More precisely, I had to use a significantly older version--which took me hours to recreate the lost work. I know, it is very frustrating to say the least.

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @yasbos 

According to your description, youo can not put the fields on the visual?

I test in my side and it seems that it works and has no problrm, you can try to check if it can work:
(1)Check the placed fields, we can't prevent measures in dimension fields.

(2)It may not be possible to "move to" when there is only one value on the X or Y axis.

(3)You can try to create a new PBIX file again, drag the correct fileds again, and see if you can fit the corresponding fields.

(4)Check the aggregation logic that prevents fields or measures from being calculated and therefore cannot be put in. Depending on the visual you are using, check to see if there are certain restrictions on the official website.

If the above does not solve your problem, you can also delete your sensitive data and share your .pbix file with us for analysis.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi, @v-yueyunzh-msft. Thanks so much for the response. You see, as I mentioned in my original post, I know that I'm not doing anything wrong because there is a value in the field already. When I remove it, I can't put it back. Furthermore, it turns out that it isn't just this visual. I couldn't add fields to the x or y axes of other visuals. Strangely, I could add measures. I had to spend the entire weekend recreating the file. The very same visuals now behave as expected in the new file. Something got corrupted in the problem file, it seems, and that is very frustrating because it derailed my plans and set me back on progress significantly.

Hi, @yasbos 

I'm very sorry that i have no way to help you solve the current problem, according to your description, you restarted the computer and reinstalled the desktop, but you innovatively created the pbix problem seems to be alleviated, for your previous old version of the pbix file, the normal situation should be backward compatible.

I think it might be the old version of the .pbix file somewhere that went wrong.And sorry for hindering and affecting your work.

If your problem still occurs in the new version, and everything is in normal logic, and If you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thanks @v-yueyunzh-msft . That's very kind of you. You see, I must've not been clear (forgive me please), but I restarted the computer, uninstalled:reinstalled the desktop, restarted again, all to try to resolve the problem, but it still didn't get fixed. It wasn't that the problem happened after I updated the desktop. No. Anyway, it just wouldn't allow me to drop fields in the axis boxes or in the tooltip box. It wouldn't do it for any visual. Visuals that were already created before the problem also exhibited the same behaviour after I removed a field from the axis box--it wouldn't let me drop it back in. I struggled with it for hours, and, finally, I decided to recreate the pbix file. That honestly ruined my weekend 🙂 Now, everything works as expected. I would probably still create the ticket, just so your team can get to the root cause and prevent it from happening again. I'm on my phone right now, so I might do it tomorrow or in the next couple of days. Thanks again for your support.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.