Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ManEff
Frequent Visitor

Some data from SharePoint List column showing as null

Hello - stuck here on an issue importing a SharePoint list into Power BI. The problem column is a single line of text column as below, with no blank entries, all entries below the maximum number of characters (255), but it is reasonably lengthy (approx 2000 records). All the records with a particular string show up - but none of the other four dfferent string combinations:-

ManEff_0-1662347617959.png

I also can replicate the same missing records issue when exporting from the SharePoint List to excel but if I export to a .csv, the missing records are all there. This possibly indicates there is something in the column formatting or contents of the strings that is tripping me up, but there aren't any special characters that I can see:-

ManEff_1-1662348444878.png

The reason I chose single line of text was to avoid this type of issue, but I can't see what is presently causing my problem. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks Maneff

3 REPLIES 3
ManEff
Frequent Visitor

For reference, I did use bulk edit for the data update on the missing fields. Looked like it saved ok at the time but I think that might be where my problem started.

ManEff
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for responding. I had previously tried that change to multiple lines of text but couldn't resolve. Strangely, when restarting the machine this morning the data that wouldn't show in Power BI is also missing from the SharePoint list and I am now getting a synchronisation error message, 'some changes could not be synced-'. Very odd, as the entries were there yesterday but something was obviously off about it so likely I'll have to re-enter the fields anyway

ManEff_0-1662428184491.png

Adescrit
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @ManEff ,

I would suggest changing the format of the StrategicObjective in Sharepoint to "Multiple Lines of Text". There could be a character in the field that is difficult to identify but is causing an issue with the "Single Line of Text" limitations, such as a line break.

Changing the format of the field shouldn't affect the size of the dataset too much, if at all, but it might solve this issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
My LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.