Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Thim
Resolver V
Resolver V

Slicer from list

Hi All. 🙂

Is there a way to make a slicer accept multiple searches/filters at the same time.

Example: Today if i have a user who has a list of 10 items they want to filter down to, they need to find each item and click on the filter. After doing this 10 times the slicer will make sure only does 10 items are filtered.

Is there a way for them to filter all 10 right away without having to find each of them first?

Possible by copying the list from a spreadsheet and insert it to the slicer.

The list they want to filter changes all the time, and there is no way for me to group them to make it easier, so i think the best solution would be a smart slicer function.

Thank you in advance. 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Thim ,

You want the slicer to display items that relate to the user defaults? And the user enable to change the items that not relate to the user. You can try create a measure for the slicer, if user have no selected, the slicer display default value. if user selects some items then go as the slicer. The same as @Thejeswar said, you need a mapping table.

Please refer this post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Connecting-Filtered-PowerBI-reports-to-specific-TEAMS-in-te... 

If you need more help, please share sample data or pbix without sensitive data.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi,

I think you can achieve this by implementing RLS, where based on the User, only those items are listed.

This way the User will see only those 10 items that he is associated with.

All that you need, is, another table with the mapping between User and the Item

Regards,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Will the user be able to change this themself, if they have a new list tomorrow?

Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

It might not be possible for the user to change it themselves. But for this to be automatically updated, we might have to keep updating the table with User-Item mapping with the latest information. This will ensure that the User sees the latest list of Items that is related with his user

Thanks for the input. 🙂

I think this will require a bit to much for it to be worth the work comparing to finding the different items on a slicer manually.

But this could be a strong way to fix other reports I am working on.

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.